Free in Rocklin: Natural History Museum Open House
The Sierra College Natural History Museum is hosting an Open House today. This family friendly event is open to the public and free of charge! The event will feature many activities and lectures designed for the whole family, from the very young to the young at heart.
Saturday, September 21, from 10am - 2pm
Sierra College Rocklin campus Sewell Hall and Parking lot S, located at 5000 Rocklin Rd., Rocklin CA 95677. Parking Lot S offers closest access to event.
Natural History Museum Open House
- Mini-tours will be available all day: Take a guided mini-tour of our Museum facilities with one of our Museum Docents. They will show you our collection, teach you a bit about the ecology of our area and even entertain you with stories of the plants and animals of our region. To take a tour of the Museum, meet your Docent under the Grey Whale in Sewell Hall.
- Nature Trail Tours: Would you rather explore the outdoors? Meet your Docent at the Cactus Garden in front of Sewell Hall to take a tour of our outdoor facilities. Tours of our Nature Trail will take place at 10:00am and 12:00pm. Tours of our Rock Walk will take place at 11:00am and 1:00pm
*These tours will be weather dependent, heavy rain will cancel outdoor tours.
Attend Family Friendly Lectures
- Geology and Plate Tectonics of the Central Sierra Nevada: Ever wonder why the Sierra Nevada look like they do? Well, at 11:00 you can find out. Come and see a lecture presented by Richard Hilton, Professor of Geology at Sierra College, this 45-minute, photo/lecture will be about the geology and plate tectonics of the central Sierra Nevada.
- California Forests: Want to learn a little bit more about the forests of California? Joe Medeiros Emeritus Professor of Biology and Editor-in-Chief of the Sierra College Press, will give a 45-minute long program on the wonderful forests in our backyard. Our California forests are the most diverse in the world!
- Planetarium Program: At 12:00 Dr. David Dunn, professor of Astronomy, will present a Planetarium Program! This is a first for our Open House! The Planetarium only seats 50, so be sure to get there early to get your seat. (Children under 7 are not recommended, since it can get pretty dark in the Planetarium).
Activities for Younger Explorers
- All day long we will have activities for children occurring throughout the Museum. From touch tables to art activities, children will find much to discover in the Museum
View Larger Map
Pet Care | Real Estate | Restaurants | Tech | View All | * Add/Upgrade Business
Placer County News HeadlinesBottleRock Presents Announces Concerts and Festival AftershowsNAPA, Calif. -- BottleRock Napa Valley, presented by JaM Cellars, has sold out all passes to the festival's sixth installment on May 25 - 27, 2018 in downtown Napa
Mesa Verde Country Top 5 Winter Experiences in Southwest ColoradoCortez, Colo. - Mesa Verde Country in Southwest Colorado is a great winter destination. The area boasts mountains, sunshine and everything travelers need for the perfect cold-weather getaway
BottleRock Presents Vines & VibesNapa, CA, - BottleRock Napa Valley presents Vines & Vibes, the fourth annual Do It For The Love Benefit Dinner and Concert on Thursday, May 24, 2018, on the rooftop of the Archer Hotel
2018 Lexus GX570 remains luxurious SUVRoseville, CA,- What most drivers will like about the 2018 Lexus LX570 is the combination of gracious around-town capability and its ability to go off-road in rugged winter conditions
Tree Harvest Cannabis Festival Cancelled, Fall Dates PossibleWoodland, CA- The cannabis themed Tree Harvest Festival scheduled for April 20- 22, 2018 has been cancelled due to a municipality withdrawing authorization
Roseville Gas Prices Ease SlightlyRoseville, CA- Gas prices in Roseville have eased slightly this past week despite the strong upward trend and anticipation of prices pushing toward the $4 gallon mark
Roseville City School District to Share $400,000 Grant(Roseville, CA) - Roseville City School District (RCSD) is poised to be the recipient of $400,000, all aimed to benefit its middle school students through
Kay U. Brooks presented with Don Poole AwardSacramento, CA,- Attorney Kay U. Brooks of Weintraub Tobin was recently awarded the Sacramento Region Community Foundation's prestigious Don Poole Award for her significant contributions
Arson Damage at Margaret Azevedo Park in RocklinRocklin, CA,- On February 17th 2018 at about 10:38 PM, Rocklin Police Officers responded to Margret Azevedo Park in the report of a play structure on fire
Roseville City School District Honors Teachers of the Year(Roseville, CA) - The Roseville City School District (RCSD) recently announced their Teachers of the Year. Heidi Polewaczyk and Michael Larsen have been selected
Roseville Gas Prices Throttling HigherRoseville, CA- A quick look around Roseville had motorists noticing gas prices trending upward. Prices in Roseville have pushed past the $3 mark
IHOP Pancake Drive-thru Benefits UC Davis Children's Hospital(SACRAMENTO, Calif.) - On Monday, Feb. 26, pancake lovers can drive through, eat their fill of short-stack pancakes and make a donation to support sick and injured children at UC Davis Children's Hospital
NEWS: In Case You Missed It