Free in Rocklin: Natural History Museum Open House
The Sierra College Natural History Museum is hosting an Open House today. This family friendly event is open to the public and free of charge! The event will feature many activities and lectures designed for the whole family, from the very young to the young at heart.
Saturday, September 21, from 10am - 2pm
Sierra College Rocklin campus Sewell Hall and Parking lot S, located at 5000 Rocklin Rd., Rocklin CA 95677. Parking Lot S offers closest access to event.
Natural History Museum Open House
- Mini-tours will be available all day: Take a guided mini-tour of our Museum facilities with one of our Museum Docents. They will show you our collection, teach you a bit about the ecology of our area and even entertain you with stories of the plants and animals of our region. To take a tour of the Museum, meet your Docent under the Grey Whale in Sewell Hall.
- Nature Trail Tours: Would you rather explore the outdoors? Meet your Docent at the Cactus Garden in front of Sewell Hall to take a tour of our outdoor facilities. Tours of our Nature Trail will take place at 10:00am and 12:00pm. Tours of our Rock Walk will take place at 11:00am and 1:00pm
*These tours will be weather dependent, heavy rain will cancel outdoor tours.
Attend Family Friendly Lectures
- Geology and Plate Tectonics of the Central Sierra Nevada: Ever wonder why the Sierra Nevada look like they do? Well, at 11:00 you can find out. Come and see a lecture presented by Richard Hilton, Professor of Geology at Sierra College, this 45-minute, photo/lecture will be about the geology and plate tectonics of the central Sierra Nevada.
- California Forests: Want to learn a little bit more about the forests of California? Joe Medeiros Emeritus Professor of Biology and Editor-in-Chief of the Sierra College Press, will give a 45-minute long program on the wonderful forests in our backyard. Our California forests are the most diverse in the world!
- Planetarium Program: At 12:00 Dr. David Dunn, professor of Astronomy, will present a Planetarium Program! This is a first for our Open House! The Planetarium only seats 50, so be sure to get there early to get your seat. (Children under 7 are not recommended, since it can get pretty dark in the Planetarium).
Activities for Younger Explorers
- All day long we will have activities for children occurring throughout the Museum. From touch tables to art activities, children will find much to discover in the Museum
View Larger Map
Pet Care | Real Estate | Restaurants | Tech | View All | * Add/Upgrade Business
Placer County News HeadlinesHoliday in the Hills on the Placer Wine Trail in DecemberRoseville, CA, - Come join us and help celebrate the holidays on the Placer Wine Trail to benefit Toys for Tots. Enjoy the holidays in Placer County
How the Grinch Stole Christmas Comes to Life at This EventSacramento, Calif. - Dr. Seuss' beloved holiday tale "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" will come to life at Fairytale Town's annual Winter Wonderland event.
California Bowl in Roseville November 24- 26Roseville, CA - Nov. 16, 2017 -One of the most competitive and exciting youth football tournaments on the west coast returns to Roseville over Thanksgiving weekend.
Kids with Disabilities to Get Help with Telemedicine Program (Sacramento, Calif.) - The UC Davis Department of Pediatrics has received a $2 million, five-year grant from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) to fund a new telemedicine program
Gun Scare in Roseville at Woodcreek HighRoseville, CA, - Roseville Police find loaded handgun following alert from Woodcreek High Students.
Ford can 'Focus' on its futureRoseville, CA,- Not many people are probably aware, but the Ford Focus has been among the top-selling cars in the world, and even held the top spot in 2013.
$1.5 Million in Grants for Sacramento-area NonprofitsRoseville, CA,- Kaiser Permanente has awarded 52 grants totaling more than $1.5 million to local not-for-profit organizations, schools and public entities in Sacramento, Yolo and Placer counties.
Roseville Gas Prices Up 20 Percent Year from Last YearRoseville, CA,- Gas prices in Roseville ticked up slightly this past week. Following on the heels on California's $5 billion a year gas tax hike
Holiday Safety Tips by Roseville Police Dept.Roseville, CA,- The holiday season is a busy and festive time. While you're busy preparing, criminals are stepping up their efforts to increase their holiday haul.
Fishing Club Monthly Breakfast in AuburnThe Rooster Tails Fishing Club monthly breakfast will be held at the Auburn Elks Lodge at 195 Pine Street in Auburn on November 17
Placer County Regional Bikeway Plan UpdateAs Placer County experiences dramatic growth in population, new homes and businesses, the popularity of cycling grows at the same time
Orange is New Pink 5K Walk for Breast CancerOrange is the New Pink 5K Walk for Breast Cancer will take place Sunday, Dec. 3 at Mandarin Hill Orchards in Penryn
NEWS: In Case You Missed It