Free in Rocklin: Natural History Museum Open House
The Sierra College Natural History Museum is hosting an Open House today. This family friendly event is open to the public and free of charge! The event will feature many activities and lectures designed for the whole family, from the very young to the young at heart.
Saturday, September 21, from 10am - 2pm
Sierra College Rocklin campus Sewell Hall and Parking lot S, located at 5000 Rocklin Rd., Rocklin CA 95677. Parking Lot S offers closest access to event.
Natural History Museum Open House
- Mini-tours will be available all day: Take a guided mini-tour of our Museum facilities with one of our Museum Docents. They will show you our collection, teach you a bit about the ecology of our area and even entertain you with stories of the plants and animals of our region. To take a tour of the Museum, meet your Docent under the Grey Whale in Sewell Hall.
- Nature Trail Tours: Would you rather explore the outdoors? Meet your Docent at the Cactus Garden in front of Sewell Hall to take a tour of our outdoor facilities. Tours of our Nature Trail will take place at 10:00am and 12:00pm. Tours of our Rock Walk will take place at 11:00am and 1:00pm
*These tours will be weather dependent, heavy rain will cancel outdoor tours.
Attend Family Friendly Lectures
- Geology and Plate Tectonics of the Central Sierra Nevada: Ever wonder why the Sierra Nevada look like they do? Well, at 11:00 you can find out. Come and see a lecture presented by Richard Hilton, Professor of Geology at Sierra College, this 45-minute, photo/lecture will be about the geology and plate tectonics of the central Sierra Nevada.
- California Forests: Want to learn a little bit more about the forests of California? Joe Medeiros Emeritus Professor of Biology and Editor-in-Chief of the Sierra College Press, will give a 45-minute long program on the wonderful forests in our backyard. Our California forests are the most diverse in the world!
- Planetarium Program: At 12:00 Dr. David Dunn, professor of Astronomy, will present a Planetarium Program! This is a first for our Open House! The Planetarium only seats 50, so be sure to get there early to get your seat. (Children under 7 are not recommended, since it can get pretty dark in the Planetarium).
Activities for Younger Explorers
- All day long we will have activities for children occurring throughout the Museum. From touch tables to art activities, children will find much to discover in the Museum
View Larger Map
Pet Care | Real Estate | Restaurants | Tech | View All | * Add/Upgrade Business
Placer County News HeadlinesPlacer Land Trust Acquires 40 Acres along North Fork of American RiverPlacer Land Trust is very pleased to announce that in early April it acquired 40 acres of gorgeous land along the North Fork American River at the bottom of the Green Valley Trail.
$20 Pet Adoptions at Placer County's Auburn ShelterFacing a spring surplus of rescue pets - and in celebration of National Adopt a Shelter Pet Day April 30 - Placer County's Auburn animal services center will lower adoption fees
Roseville Hosts I Love the 80's Fun RunRoseville, CA- On Sunday, May 1, 2016, the City of Roseville will host the I Love the 80's Fun Run in Downtown Roseville.
Yomen Spring Celebration in RosevilleYomen spring celebration in Roseville is free community event at Maidu Museum & Historic Site on April 30, 2016.
Roseville Man Arrested for Child Molestation in Bay AreaJames McNealy Carroll, a 64 year-old Roseville resident has been arrested for six counts of child molestation.
Vacancies: Mental Health, Alcohol and Drug Advisory BoardThe Placer County Mental Health, Alcohol and Drug Advisory Board is in need of additional community members to fill vacant seats.
Distance Language Intervention and Disabilities CommunicationSean Sawicki, who has fragile X syndrome, can be hard to understand and doesn't always have the attention span to carry on a sustained conversation
Sutter Buttes Bike Poker Run & Wine Tasting May 14thSutter, CA - Visit Yuba-Sutter will host the annual Sutter Buttes Bike Poker Run and Wine Tasting event on May 14, 2016.
Roseville's Greener Gardens Tour & DIY Expo Roseville, CA- Join hundreds of people for Roseville's Greener Gardens Tour and Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Expo on Saturday, May 14th
Holly Heinzen reflects on 31-year career in serviceAfter making it through her first day, wondering if she would even be able to make it up the hill and into the parking lot, Heinzen had found a place where she would spend the duration of her career
Autism: Pool and Water Safety TipsRoseville, CA- April is National Autism Awareness month. Drowning is a leading cause of death for children and adults who have Autism.
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations in AuburnAuburn -The Placer County Transportation Planning Agency (PCTPA) and the City of Auburn will host a ribbon cutting celebration to recognize the installation of two new electric vehicle
NEWS: In Case You Missed It