Free in Rocklin: Natural History Museum Open House
The Sierra College Natural History Museum is hosting an Open House today. This family friendly event is open to the public and free of charge! The event will feature many activities and lectures designed for the whole family, from the very young to the young at heart.
Saturday, September 21, from 10am - 2pm
Sierra College Rocklin campus Sewell Hall and Parking lot S, located at 5000 Rocklin Rd., Rocklin CA 95677. Parking Lot S offers closest access to event.
Natural History Museum Open House
- Mini-tours will be available all day: Take a guided mini-tour of our Museum facilities with one of our Museum Docents. They will show you our collection, teach you a bit about the ecology of our area and even entertain you with stories of the plants and animals of our region. To take a tour of the Museum, meet your Docent under the Grey Whale in Sewell Hall.
- Nature Trail Tours: Would you rather explore the outdoors? Meet your Docent at the Cactus Garden in front of Sewell Hall to take a tour of our outdoor facilities. Tours of our Nature Trail will take place at 10:00am and 12:00pm. Tours of our Rock Walk will take place at 11:00am and 1:00pm
*These tours will be weather dependent, heavy rain will cancel outdoor tours.
Attend Family Friendly Lectures
- Geology and Plate Tectonics of the Central Sierra Nevada: Ever wonder why the Sierra Nevada look like they do? Well, at 11:00 you can find out. Come and see a lecture presented by Richard Hilton, Professor of Geology at Sierra College, this 45-minute, photo/lecture will be about the geology and plate tectonics of the central Sierra Nevada.
- California Forests: Want to learn a little bit more about the forests of California? Joe Medeiros Emeritus Professor of Biology and Editor-in-Chief of the Sierra College Press, will give a 45-minute long program on the wonderful forests in our backyard. Our California forests are the most diverse in the world!
- Planetarium Program: At 12:00 Dr. David Dunn, professor of Astronomy, will present a Planetarium Program! This is a first for our Open House! The Planetarium only seats 50, so be sure to get there early to get your seat. (Children under 7 are not recommended, since it can get pretty dark in the Planetarium).
Activities for Younger Explorers
- All day long we will have activities for children occurring throughout the Museum. From touch tables to art activities, children will find much to discover in the Museum
View Larger Map
Pet Care | Real Estate | Restaurants | Tech | View All | * Add/Upgrade Business
Placer County News HeadlinesTransportation Sales Tax Closer to Ballot MeasureThe Placer County Transportation Planning Agency (PCTPA) Board of Directors, acting as the Placer County Local Transportation Authority, unanimously adopted the Keep Placer Moving Transportation Investment Plan
Beach House Restaurant in Pacific GrovePacific Grove, CA- Gazing upon the ebb and flow of the cool, clear Pacific waters as they lap against the shore of Monterey Bay as the sun gently descends toward the horizon is a damn fine way
Placer County Grand Jury Report Critical of Local Government Operations This year's Placer County Grand Jury Final Report contains some individual reports which are critical of local government operations
Placer County Fair in Roseville 2016ROSEVILLE, CA. Just in time to head off the summer vacation blues, the Placer County Fair, June 23-36, comes to life with fabulous fair food, swirling carnival rides, farm animals
Summer of Free Museums in Placer CountyMuseums throughout Placer County will offer free admission on select days all summer as the Heritage Trail Museums Tour returns for its ninth year
Python Snake on the Loose in Rocklin LocatedRocklin, CA- The Rocklin Police Department was informed the snake that escaped from its owner was located.
Rocklin Police Investigating Suspicious CircumstanceRocklin, CA- On Monday, June 20, 2016, Rocklin Police responded to a report of a suspicious person inside a gated community near Hillcrest Drive.
Lexus RX 350: Revised and Not Just for WomenRoseville, CA- Although enamored with this Lexus model in previous years, the thinking here was the Lexus RX was a luxury, midsize crossover sport utility vehicle
Placer County to Limit Medical Marijuana CultivationCommercial medical marijuana cultivation and sale will not be allowed in unincorporated Placer County, after the board of supervisors voted 3-2
California Fires Update Summary (6.22.16)Over 5,000 firefighters are battling 4 large wildfires in California, while firefighters around the rest of the state battled dozens of new fires
Roseville Gas Prices Holding SteadyRoseville, CA- Roseville gas prices have been holding relatively steady this past week. As usual, Costco, Sam's Club and ARCO dominate the low price leaderboard
Students Impacted by Walsh Family ScholarshipsRocklin, CA - Sierra College students who received the John G. and Lillian M. Walsh Family Scholarship say that it encouraged them to come to Sierra College
NEWS: In Case You Missed It