Free in Rocklin: Natural History Museum Open House
The Sierra College Natural History Museum is hosting an Open House today. This family friendly event is open to the public and free of charge! The event will feature many activities and lectures designed for the whole family, from the very young to the young at heart.
Saturday, September 21, from 10am - 2pm
Sierra College Rocklin campus Sewell Hall and Parking lot S, located at 5000 Rocklin Rd., Rocklin CA 95677. Parking Lot S offers closest access to event.
Natural History Museum Open House
- Mini-tours will be available all day: Take a guided mini-tour of our Museum facilities with one of our Museum Docents. They will show you our collection, teach you a bit about the ecology of our area and even entertain you with stories of the plants and animals of our region. To take a tour of the Museum, meet your Docent under the Grey Whale in Sewell Hall.
- Nature Trail Tours: Would you rather explore the outdoors? Meet your Docent at the Cactus Garden in front of Sewell Hall to take a tour of our outdoor facilities. Tours of our Nature Trail will take place at 10:00am and 12:00pm. Tours of our Rock Walk will take place at 11:00am and 1:00pm
*These tours will be weather dependent, heavy rain will cancel outdoor tours.
Attend Family Friendly Lectures
- Geology and Plate Tectonics of the Central Sierra Nevada: Ever wonder why the Sierra Nevada look like they do? Well, at 11:00 you can find out. Come and see a lecture presented by Richard Hilton, Professor of Geology at Sierra College, this 45-minute, photo/lecture will be about the geology and plate tectonics of the central Sierra Nevada.
- California Forests: Want to learn a little bit more about the forests of California? Joe Medeiros Emeritus Professor of Biology and Editor-in-Chief of the Sierra College Press, will give a 45-minute long program on the wonderful forests in our backyard. Our California forests are the most diverse in the world!
- Planetarium Program: At 12:00 Dr. David Dunn, professor of Astronomy, will present a Planetarium Program! This is a first for our Open House! The Planetarium only seats 50, so be sure to get there early to get your seat. (Children under 7 are not recommended, since it can get pretty dark in the Planetarium).
Activities for Younger Explorers
- All day long we will have activities for children occurring throughout the Museum. From touch tables to art activities, children will find much to discover in the Museum
View Larger Map
Pet Care | Real Estate | Restaurants | Tech | View All | * Add/Upgrade Business
Placer County News HeadlinesRoseville Flash Crime Report (4.21.17)Roseville, CA- Digest summary update of select crimes for Roseville Police activity for the period covering April 14- 21, 2017.
Northern California's Wettest Year on RecordAt its April 20 meeting, the Placer County Water Agency (PCWA) Board of Directors received news that April showers have boosted Northern California
Jeffrey Zahniser, SCOE's 2018 Teacher of the YearSacramento, CA- Culinary Arts instructor Jeffrey Zahniser walked into school today fully prepared to teach his students another lesson about the art of cooking
WJU Announces Largest Graduating Class & Commencement SpeakerROCKLIN, CA., - William Jessup University, the first WASC accredited private, four-year residential Christian university in the greater Sacramento region will celebrate
Corky's Corner: Fender Baja Telecaster ReviewedRoseville, CA - This Fender Baja Telecaster is a custom shop made in Mexico model that just blows the doors off most Telecasters you will hear.
Explore the Beauty of Granite Bay and Folsom LakeRoseville, CA - Everyone is welcome as the Walking Sticks take on Granite Bay and Folsom via a mixture of lake trails and upscale streets.
NorCal Sport Stacking Regional Championships RocklinRocklin, CA - California's only regional championship for sport stacking will be taking place on Saturday, April 29 at Whitney High School in Rocklin
Placer SPCA's Woof, Wine & DineROSEVILLE, CALIF. - Placer County's favorite dog-friendly food and beverage tasting event is back. Join the Placer SPCA for its annual Woof Wine & Dine
Sierra College Seeking to Fill Board OpeningROCKLIN, CA - The Sierra Joint Community College District is accepting applications to serve as an appointed member of the Board of Trustees
Hacker Lab Taking Applications for Startup Hustle(ROCKLIN, CA) - Hacker Lab is taking applications for the Startup Hustle six-week entrepreneurial boot camp and announced the addition of four free sessions
Roseville Wine Down Wednesday Falls ShortRoseville, CA -- Roseville Wine Down Wednesday came up a bit short last night.
Sutter Health's Getting to Zero Targets HomelessnessROSEVILLE, CA - Under a resolution adopted by the City Council, Roseville is voicing its support for Sutter Health's Getting to Zero campaign
NEWS: In Case You Missed It