Free in Rocklin: Natural History Museum Open House
The Sierra College Natural History Museum is hosting an Open House today. This family friendly event is open to the public and free of charge! The event will feature many activities and lectures designed for the whole family, from the very young to the young at heart.
Saturday, September 21, from 10am - 2pm
Sierra College Rocklin campus Sewell Hall and Parking lot S, located at 5000 Rocklin Rd., Rocklin CA 95677. Parking Lot S offers closest access to event.
Natural History Museum Open House
- Mini-tours will be available all day: Take a guided mini-tour of our Museum facilities with one of our Museum Docents. They will show you our collection, teach you a bit about the ecology of our area and even entertain you with stories of the plants and animals of our region. To take a tour of the Museum, meet your Docent under the Grey Whale in Sewell Hall.
- Nature Trail Tours: Would you rather explore the outdoors? Meet your Docent at the Cactus Garden in front of Sewell Hall to take a tour of our outdoor facilities. Tours of our Nature Trail will take place at 10:00am and 12:00pm. Tours of our Rock Walk will take place at 11:00am and 1:00pm
*These tours will be weather dependent, heavy rain will cancel outdoor tours.
Attend Family Friendly Lectures
- Geology and Plate Tectonics of the Central Sierra Nevada: Ever wonder why the Sierra Nevada look like they do? Well, at 11:00 you can find out. Come and see a lecture presented by Richard Hilton, Professor of Geology at Sierra College, this 45-minute, photo/lecture will be about the geology and plate tectonics of the central Sierra Nevada.
- California Forests: Want to learn a little bit more about the forests of California? Joe Medeiros Emeritus Professor of Biology and Editor-in-Chief of the Sierra College Press, will give a 45-minute long program on the wonderful forests in our backyard. Our California forests are the most diverse in the world!
- Planetarium Program: At 12:00 Dr. David Dunn, professor of Astronomy, will present a Planetarium Program! This is a first for our Open House! The Planetarium only seats 50, so be sure to get there early to get your seat. (Children under 7 are not recommended, since it can get pretty dark in the Planetarium).
Activities for Younger Explorers
- All day long we will have activities for children occurring throughout the Museum. From touch tables to art activities, children will find much to discover in the Museum
View Larger Map
Pet Care | Real Estate | Restaurants | Tech | View All | * Add/Upgrade Business
Placer County News HeadlinesWhat is Your Realtor Doing?Julie Jalone, Sacramento Realtor with MagnumOne Realty in Roseville, explains what many Realtors are doing when they are not with their clients.
Roseville Flash Crime Report Update (9.29.16)Roseville, CA- Police activity log from Roseville Police for the period covering September 17-27, 2016.
Lexus NX 200t Review: Aggressive and EdgyRoseville, CA - The NX 200t has some aggressive design angles and the standard Lexus front end features thin lights and a nose that one car reviewer says resembles a rat's angry expression.
Mini Maker Faire and Sierra Celebration October 1Rocklin, CA - On Saturday, October 1st, from 10am-5pm, the City of Rocklin and Sierra College will host the Rocklin Mini Maker Faire & Sierra Celebration
Public Invited to Sierra College Patrons Meeting in RocklinRocklin, CA - The Sierra College Patrons, a support group of the Sierra College Foundation, invites the public and those interested in becoming members of the
Local Grant to Help Fund Senior Nutrition Programs(AUBURN, CA) - Seniors First has been awarded a $10,000 grant through the James and Virginia Benson Memorial Fund, managed by the Sacramento Region Community Foundation
JB Brown Fund Awards 44 ScholarshipsROSEVILLE - Helping residents achieve their dreams and build a better future for themselves and their families are the foundation of the JB Brown Fund
Rocklin Flash Crime Report (9.28.16)Rocklin, CA- The latest police activity report from Rocklin Police covering the period of September 12- 18, 2016.
Rocklin Venues to Host Cyclocross RacesRocklin, CA - On October 8 and 9 Sacramento Cyclocross will kick-off their cyclocross race season with exhilarating events in two Rocklin locations
$3 Million Plan to Remove Damaged Trees Approved by SupervisorsCounty staff has identified approximately 1,800 trees in need of immediate removal. With an estimate of $1,700 per tree, the total cost of the project is expected to be about $3.1 million
Draft Vision for Sunset Area and Placer Ranch in South PlacerRoseville, CA - Placer County planners today unveiled the first draft land use vision for Placer Ranch and the Sunset Area in south Placer
Grant to Support Seniors First Meal Delivery ProgramSeniors First Executive Director Jamee Horning is honored to announce the receipt of $15,000 from Sierra Health Foundation, a private philanthropy committed to improving health
NEWS: In Case You Missed It