Free in Rocklin: Natural History Museum Open House
The Sierra College Natural History Museum is hosting an Open House today. This family friendly event is open to the public and free of charge! The event will feature many activities and lectures designed for the whole family, from the very young to the young at heart.
Saturday, September 21, from 10am - 2pm
Sierra College Rocklin campus Sewell Hall and Parking lot S, located at 5000 Rocklin Rd., Rocklin CA 95677. Parking Lot S offers closest access to event.
Natural History Museum Open House
- Mini-tours will be available all day: Take a guided mini-tour of our Museum facilities with one of our Museum Docents. They will show you our collection, teach you a bit about the ecology of our area and even entertain you with stories of the plants and animals of our region. To take a tour of the Museum, meet your Docent under the Grey Whale in Sewell Hall.
- Nature Trail Tours: Would you rather explore the outdoors? Meet your Docent at the Cactus Garden in front of Sewell Hall to take a tour of our outdoor facilities. Tours of our Nature Trail will take place at 10:00am and 12:00pm. Tours of our Rock Walk will take place at 11:00am and 1:00pm
*These tours will be weather dependent, heavy rain will cancel outdoor tours.
Attend Family Friendly Lectures
- Geology and Plate Tectonics of the Central Sierra Nevada: Ever wonder why the Sierra Nevada look like they do? Well, at 11:00 you can find out. Come and see a lecture presented by Richard Hilton, Professor of Geology at Sierra College, this 45-minute, photo/lecture will be about the geology and plate tectonics of the central Sierra Nevada.
- California Forests: Want to learn a little bit more about the forests of California? Joe Medeiros Emeritus Professor of Biology and Editor-in-Chief of the Sierra College Press, will give a 45-minute long program on the wonderful forests in our backyard. Our California forests are the most diverse in the world!
- Planetarium Program: At 12:00 Dr. David Dunn, professor of Astronomy, will present a Planetarium Program! This is a first for our Open House! The Planetarium only seats 50, so be sure to get there early to get your seat. (Children under 7 are not recommended, since it can get pretty dark in the Planetarium).
Activities for Younger Explorers
- All day long we will have activities for children occurring throughout the Museum. From touch tables to art activities, children will find much to discover in the Museum
View Larger Map
Pet Care | Real Estate | Restaurants | Tech | View All | * Add/Upgrade Business
Placer County News HeadlinesWest Nile Virus and Mosquito Control Awareness WeekRoseville, CA -The Placer Mosquito and Vector Control District (PMVCD) announces the official beginning of the season during West Nile virus and Mosquito
NCAA Golf Championship Returns To Greenhorn Creek ResortAngels Camp, CA - The NCAA Big Sky Men's Golf Championship (previously known as the America Sky Championship) will be contested at Greenhorn Creek Resort.
Hacker Lab Grand Opening in Rocklin May 7thSierra College brought Hacker Lab, a co-working and maker space open to the community, to Rocklin and the organizations are hosting a Grand Opening on Thursday, May 7th.
California Family Fitness Job Fairs in Folsom and SacCalifornia Family Fitness, voted Sacramento's top health and fitness provider for 15 years, is looking for motivated, passionate and qualified men and women
Open to Public: Hazard Mitigation Plan in Auburn and Tahoe CityThe Placer County Office of Emergency Services will hold two meetings in an update of the county's Local Hazard Mitigation Plan.
Gas Prices Reverse Course and Head UpwardRoseville, CA- Gas prices reversed course this past week and trended upwards. The good news is that bargain shoppers can currently avoid the increase
Top 100 Paying Jobs in California (Part 8)Part 8: Join us as we count down to #1 to the Top 100 Paying Jobs in California.
UC Davis Alzheimer's Disease Center in Walnut CreekThe UC Davis Alzheimer's Disease Center, one of only 27 research centers designated by the National Institutes of Health's National Institute on Aging, has established a new clinic
Water Restrictions Expanded for PCWA CustomersDrought Watch: The Placer County Water Agency Board of Directors adopted the Stage 2 Water Warning condition under PCWA's Water Shortage Contingency Plan.
Maui Vacation: Journey Into ParadiseAnother magnificent day in Maui, where the possibilities seem almost limitless in the pursuit of fun.
A Taste of Excellence in Rocklin on May 2The Board of Directors of the Sierra College Foundation is pleased to announce the 11th Annual A Taste of Excellence, the organization's largest fundraising effort
Mazda CX-5 SUV is a WinnerMazda definitely made a wise move several years ago, introducing the CX-5 in hopes that it would fare better
NEWS: In Case You Missed It