Hiss, Squeak, Roar in Rocklin October 12th
Rocklin, CA--Let's celebrate all of those things that go bump in the night and make our skin crawl! The Sierra College Natural History Museum will be hosting our first Hiss, Squeak, Roar event.
Come face-to-face with those creatures that make us want to run in the other direction. Learn about the important role that they can play in our ecosystem and all of the good that they do for us! You may even leave the event feeling a bit better about these organisms. The event will feature local organizations that can tell you more about these organisms, lectures and activities.
A Celebration of All Those Things That Go Bump in the Night!
Saturday, October 12, 10:00am-2:00pm
- You will be able to come face-to-face with a snake, lizard or other reptile from the Northern California Herpetological Society.
- Visit our Arthropodorium, where Star EcoStation will have spiders, scorpions and cockroaches for you to cozy up to.
- The Arthropodorium will feature some of the hundreds of preserved insects that the Museum has in its collection. UC Davis' Bohart Museum will also be bringing along some arthropod friends for you to meet.
- You will never look at a creek the same again after visiting our Aquatic Assassins and Phytophagans room where you will get to look at some of the creatures lurking in these environments.
- The Paleontological Phantoms will bring you closer to those who departed thousands and millions of years ago.
- Find out what might be lurking on your unwashed hands! Do you think that the 5-second rule keeps your food safe after you drop it? Get closer to those tiny organisms that cover every part of our world and our bodies in the room of Magical Microbes.
- We will have activities for children to learn about bats and they will be able to make their own bat to take home (while supplies last).
- Dress up as your favorite scary animal and participate in our costume parade too! All participants will get a small prize (Children 12 and younger only please).
The Sierra College Rocklin Campus is located at 5000 Rocklin Road in Rocklin. Cost is $5.00 for adults ($3.00 for adult members) and $3.00 for children 4 and older. Children under 4 and children who are members attend for free! Information can be found on our website at www.sierracollege.edu/museum or you can call 916-660-7923 for more information.
Print This Article
Placer County News Headlines$7 Billion Water Bond Supported by Sacramento SupervisorsDrought Watch: AB 1471, the legislation placing the water bond on the ballot, asks voters to approve $7.12 billion for projects which will build new water storage facilities, invests in safe drinking water
Gas Prices Under $3 Gallon Coming Soon?Average retail gasoline prices in Sacramento have fallen 3.4 cents per gallon in the past week, averaging $3.79/g yesterday, according to GasBuddy's daily survey
Carbon Pollution Limits Can Help Save Lives and Improve HealthFew things are more frightening for a parent than racing to the hospital with a child who can't breathe.
Sierra College Football Hosts 2014 Meet The Wolverines Rocklin, CA -Amid high expectations, the 2014 Sierra College football season kicks off with the annual "Meet the Wolverines" controlled scrimmage and fan-fest Saturday, Aug. 23
Roseville California Crime Brief (8.19.14)Roseville, CA-- The Roseville Police Department Crime Brief Report for August 19, 2014.
Could Be Easier For Renters To BuyRealtor, Julie Jalone of MagnumOne Realty in Roseville, writes about a recent article which advocates adding rental payments to credit scores to help renters qualify for a mortgage.
Faith Plays Big Role with MomEvery now and then, a person featured here attributes faith as pivotal in their being able to cope with disability-one in themselves or family members.
Feed My Starving Children MobilePack Returning to RocklinROCKLIN-For the fifth year, hundreds of volunteers from the community will gather to pack meals for malnourished children around the world.
35 Year Old Woman Captured by Roseville Police After PursuitDetectives are actively looking for the male suspect, Shane Schmidt, 39, who is on probation out of Turlock.
Sammy Hagar Concert in Roseville September 13thRock and Roll Hall of Famer Sammy Hagar will celebrate the reopening of Sammy's Island Bar & Grill in Roseville, Calif., with a special concert event on Saturday, September 13th.
Hyundai Equus: An Affordable Luxury SedanAlthough not on the Hyundai payroll, sometimes it feels like I should be because I'm often defending the South Korean auto manufacturer for its past transgressions
23 Year Old Roseville Man Killed in Motorcycle CollisionA 23 year old Roseville man and 29 year old Rio Linda man were killed after their motorcycles crashed into a Jeep Cherokee at high rate of speed.