Tips as Winter Weather Returns
The National Weather Service predicts a cold weather system with freezing overnight temperatures moving into the area this week (Tuesday - Saturday).
Sheriff John D'Agostini along with the El Dorado County Health and Human Services Agency, Public Health Division is asking residents to take steps now to prepare. Those especially at risk during extreme cold weather include seniors, infants, and animals.
Prepare Your Home for Winter:
- Insulate exterior water pipes to avoid freezing; learn how to shut off water valves (in case a pipe bursts).
- Have fireplace and wood stove chimneys or flues inspected each year.
- Install a smoke detector and battery operated carbon monoxide detector, and test these monthly.
- Never use barbeques or cooking stoves as a source of heat indoors, as these can produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is toxic if encountered in high concentrations.
- Keep an emergency kit in an easy-access location.
Prepare Your Car for Winter:
- Maintain at least a half tank of gas during the winter season.
- Replace worn tires and check air pressure. Carry tire chains in each vehicle.
- Be cautious about travel; check road conditions before traveling and let others know of your route and estimated time of arrival.
- Keep extra blankets, food and water in your vehicle.
Prepare Yourself, Your Family and Your Pets for Winter:
- Wear several layers of loose-fitting, warm clothing. The outer garments should be tightly woven and water repellent.
- Avoid heavy exertion in the cold.
- Regularly check on the well-being of loved ones, friends and neighbors.
- Make sure outdoor pets and large animals have adequate shelter, plenty of food and unfrozen water. If possible, move family pets indoors.
- Taking time to prepare in advance will greatly reduce the risk of weather-related issues.
For additional information, visit the National Weather Service website at: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sto/.
Print This Article
Placer County News HeadlinesProposed Auburn Costco Terms Under ReviewAuburn, CA -- The Placer County Board of Supervisors will review key financial terms Tuesday for a prospective ground lease agreement with Costco Wholesale Corp. that include a company contribution to help
Indigenous Peoples Days in Rocklin March 19-22Rocklin, CA--Sierra College's Native American Club, the New Legacy Committee, the Sierra College Press and Heyday Books will cosponsor a four-day event: Indigenous Peoples Days during its Yomen Weda or Spring Equinox Festival
Beth Gaines Announces Re-Election BidROSEVILLE- Small business owner and State Assemblywoman Beth Gaines (R-Roseville) announced her bid for re-election to California's Sixth Assembly District.
Roseville Company Partners in $39 Million Apartment CommunityBased in Roseville, USA Properties Fund Inc. debuted the Mayfair Court - a 93-unit apartment community at 65 McCreery Avenue in San Jose on March 6.
Placer County Water Agency Meets Stewardship CommitmentsManaging California's complex water storage and delivery system is a never-ending balancing act between supply, demand, and environmental considerations, especially during a severe water shortage.
Safeway and Albertsons Announce Merger AgreementSafeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY) and Albertsons announced today a definitive agreement under which AB Acquisition LLC ("AB Acquisition") will acquire all outstanding shares of Safeway
Roseville Crime Report Digest (3-6-14)The Roseville Police Department crime report digest March 6, 2014.
Plane Crash in Placer County UpdateA plane crash approximately 3-4 miles south by south east of the Truckee Airport. The decedent is 55 year old Darla Farnell.
Placer SPCA Seeks 2014 Hero Awards NominationsRoseville, CA - Placer SPCA is seeking nominations for the 2014 Hero Awards, to be presented at the 13th annual Funny Bones Comedy and Awards Night on Friday, April 25.
AAA Funds Supports Roseville Fire Museum and Roseville Firefighters CharityThe AAA Roseville South Branch Office is providing $2,500 each to the Roseville Fire Museum and the Roseville Firefighters Charity.
Rocklin Crime Report Digest (3-6-14)The Rocklin Police Department's weekly crime report digest for the period of February 25, 2014 to March 3, 2014.
Roseville Physician Elected to TMPG Chair of the BoardChris Palkowski, MD, has been elected chair of the board of directors of The Permanente Medical Group (TPMG), the governing board of the largest medical group in the nation with 8,000 physicians serving 3.4 million