Quick Guide to Buying Firewood in Placer County
AUBURN, CALIF. -- With the wood stove and fireplace season upon us, Placer County Agricultural Commissioner is reminding consumers to know what they are getting when buying firewood.
"There are many reputable firewood dealers in Placer County who sell quality products in correct amounts. Buyers should be aware of a few requirements for sellers before they hand over money for firewood."
Those requirements include:
- Firewood must be sold by the cord or partial cord. A cord is equal to 128 cubic feet of tightly stacked wood. In general, the bed of a pickup truck (even a full-sized truck) will not hold a full cord.
- A receipt is required of all firewood transactions that include sellerís name, address, the date of purchase, the quantity of wood purchased (in cords) and the price.
- If the seller has made representations regarding the type of wood, that information must also be included on the receipt.
Not all types of wood burn the same when it comes to firewood. Softer woods such as pine or fir burn faster than harder woods, such as oak or walnut. Green wood -- wood that has not been adequately seasoned -- should be avoided. Green wood will not burn easily, creates smoke and can leave excessive creosote deposits in stove pipes or chimneys, which can lead to flue fires.
The Agricultural Commissioner also offers the following suggestions to consumers when buying wood:
- The buyer should be present at the time of delivery to ensure that everything is as it should be. If the wood is green, rotten, not split, or the type expected, donít buy it.
- Do not pay for firewood until it has been delivered. If the seller is only going to deliver half of your order at a time, only pay for half.
- Be careful when buying wood from out of the area; it may be hard to track down the seller if you later have a problem.
- Be careful when purchasing wood from someone parked on the side of the road. Chances are that these sellers do not really have a full cord in the back of their trucks.
- It is illegal to sell anything in the county right of way. Be very cautious when thinking about buying firewood from someone parked on the side of the road.
- Check references on sellers before the wood is delivered.
"Many people in Placer County have the pleasure of heating their homes with wood. That pleasure is more enjoyable with a few precautions and awareness of what's required of firewood sellers."
Once your wood is delivered, stack and measure it. Do not burn any until you have done this. If the load appears to be short, you can call Placer County Weights and Measures at (530) 889-7372.
Print This Article
Placer County News HeadlinesRocklin History Tour - Pyramid TombRocklin History Tour - Joel Parker Whitney's Pyramid Tomb near the 11th green of the Whitney Oaks Golf Course.
Disabilities Book Aims To Reach Christian LeadershipLast week, I interviewed a young lady with autism over email because she felt more comfortable with that method of communication. For a similar reason, this week, I interviewed via email Tait Berge of
Ponzi and Mortgage Fraud Defendants Plead GuiltyJohn Hagener, 77, of Granite Bay, and Dawn C. Powers, 43, of Lincoln, separately pleaded guilty to conspiracy charges, United States Attorney Benjamin B. Wagner announced
Roseville Mayor Receives Woman of the Year AwardAssemblywoman Beth Gaines, R-Roseville, honored Susan Rohan, Mayor of Roseville, as the 2014 Woman of the Year for the 6th Assembly District during a special Assembly ceremony today at the State Capitol.
Placer County Water Outlook ImprovedDrought Watch: AUBURN -- Wet weather in February and early March hasn't ended the drought but it has given the Placer County Water Agency more time to determine if water delivery restrictions
Remedy Rx Grand Opening - Community Health FairRoseville, CA - Remedy Rx Pharmacy is proud to announce that they will be celebrating the debut of their new independent pharmacy with a two-day grand opening event on March 21st and 22nd.
Why We Dumped AT&T for T-MobileAT&T Dumped for T-Mobile: It's never hard to find dissatisfied customers when it comes to any of the major cell phone service providers. An Internet search quickly uncovers...
Ford Escape: A Refined Compact SUVA year ago, Ford did the logical thing - redesigning the popular Escape, something that hadn't been done since 2008. The result: a much improved sport utility vehicle.
TahoeSkiWorld.com Covers Lake Tahoe Ski SceneJeffrey Weidel has recently introduced a new website TahoeSkiWorld.com that provides stories, photos, videos and social media coverage of Lake Tahoe's 15 diverse ski resorts.
Proposed Auburn Costco Terms Under ReviewAuburn, CA -- The Placer County Board of Supervisors will review key financial terms Tuesday for a prospective ground lease agreement with Costco Wholesale Corp. that include a company contribution to help
Indigenous Peoples Days in Rocklin March 19-22Rocklin, CA--Sierra College's Native American Club, the New Legacy Committee, the Sierra College Press and Heyday Books will cosponsor a four-day event: Indigenous Peoples Days during its Yomen Weda or Spring Equinox Festival
Beth Gaines Announces Re-Election BidROSEVILLE- Small business owner and State Assemblywoman Beth Gaines (R-Roseville) announced her bid for re-election to California's Sixth Assembly District.