Crazy Rocklin Dog Ingests London Broil and Survives
With the anticipation of a tasty family dinner later that evening, John Young of Rocklin, Calif., spent the day marinating nearly five pounds of London broil before placing it alongside a loaf of bread in the middle of his kitchen counter while he picked up his children from softball practice.
While John thought the food was out of the reach of Cali, his 5-year-old golden retriever, he returned home a few minutes later to find his pooch had devoured the entire meal.
The London broil led to tummy turmoil for Cali, resulting in a trip to the emergency animal hospital, earning her the title of November's "Most Unusual Claim of the Month" by Veterinary Pet Insurance Co. (VPI).
"I made a concerted effort to place the dish in the middle of the island in our kitchen, so it would be out of the reach of our little scavenger," explained John. "When I returned home five minutes later, the first thing I saw was the bread bag on the kitchen floor and Cali laying by the couch with 'that look' in her eyes. I thought she had just eaten the bread until I looked at the island and saw the dish sitting on the edge of the counter void of almost five pounds of meat."
Wanting to make sure that she would not become ill, John took Cali to the veterinary hospital where they took X-rays and induced vomiting. After nearly two hours at the hospital, Cali was sent home and put on a strict diet for a couple of days.
"Mr. Young was wise to seek medical attention for Cali," said Carol McConnell, DVM, MBA, vice president and chief veterinary medical officer for VPI. "Sudden changes in diet and extreme overconsumption of rich foods can cause pancreatitis. It's always important to keep your pet on his regular, veterinary-recommended diet. Double your vigilance during the holidays: That's when people tend to do more cooking, and a guest in your home might not be as careful to keep their food from your pets. Both of these scenarios create the opportunity for counter-cruisers, like Cali, to take advantage and help themselves!"
John purchased VPI Pet Insurance through his employer, Southwest Airlines, which is one of the more than 3,600 organizations and associations nationwide to offer VPI as a voluntary employee benefit. As a policyholder for just under a year, John was delighted to receive nearly a 98 percent reimbursement for Cali's London broil ingestion claim.
"One of the main reasons I purchased pet insurance for Cali was because she has a healthy curiosity for getting into things she shouldn't," explained John. "We have taken extra precautions to ensure we keep harmful items away from her, but I'm glad we have VPI in case we are faced with another unexpected incident."
Cali's incident was one of more than 80,000 claims received in the month of November by VPI, the nation's first and largest provider of pet health insurance, and was selected by VPI employees as the most unusual of the bunch. Honorable mentions in November included a cairn terrier who was hit by a dune buggy, a mixed-breed pooch who swallowed an acorn, and a Labrador retriever who suffered broken bones when his paws got stuck in a coyote trap.
All pets considered for the award made full recoveries and received insurance reimbursements for eligible expenses.
As the most unusual claim submitted in November, Cali will be in the running for the 2014 VPI Hambone Award. Other nominees include Pierre the French bulldog who took an unplanned dip in the swimming pool at a Fourth of July party, Heidi Elizabeth the American cocker spaniel who survived a two-story plunge out of her owner's home, and Roxy the German shepherd who crashed into and shattered a sliding glass door.
Pet Care | Real Estate | Restaurants | Tech | View All | * Add/Upgrade Business
Placer County News HeadlinesVolvo XC90: Large, sophisticated SUVRoseville, CA,- There are plenty of reasons to be enamored with the 2018 Volvo XC90, a sophisticated luxury crossover sport utility vehicle
Seniors First Undergoing Leadership Change(Auburn, CA) - After stabilizing and expanding Seniors First, Placer County's only organization focused on programs and services for seniors, executive director Jamee Horning has
Moksa Brewing Up Seriously Delicious Craft Beers in RocklinRocklin, CA,- Derived from the word Moksha which equates with ultimate freedom and liberation in Indian philosophy and religion, we found ourselves perched in Rocklin, California at Moksa Brewing
BottleRock Presents Announces Concerts and Festival AftershowsNAPA, Calif. -- BottleRock Napa Valley, presented by JaM Cellars, has sold out all passes to the festival's sixth installment on May 25 - 27, 2018 in downtown Napa
Mesa Verde Country Top 5 Winter Experiences in Southwest ColoradoCortez, Colo. - Mesa Verde Country in Southwest Colorado is a great winter destination. The area boasts mountains, sunshine and everything travelers need for the perfect cold-weather getaway
BottleRock Presents Vines & VibesNapa, CA, - BottleRock Napa Valley presents Vines & Vibes, the fourth annual Do It For The Love Benefit Dinner and Concert on Thursday, May 24, 2018, on the rooftop of the Archer Hotel
2018 Lexus GX570 remains luxurious SUVRoseville, CA,- What most drivers will like about the 2018 Lexus LX570 is the combination of gracious around-town capability and its ability to go off-road in rugged winter conditions
Tree Harvest Cannabis Festival Cancelled, Fall Dates PossibleWoodland, CA- The cannabis themed Tree Harvest Festival scheduled for April 20- 22, 2018 has been cancelled due to a municipality withdrawing authorization
Roseville Gas Prices Ease SlightlyRoseville, CA- Gas prices in Roseville have eased slightly this past week despite the strong upward trend and anticipation of prices pushing toward the $4 gallon mark
Roseville City School District to Share $400,000 Grant(Roseville, CA) - Roseville City School District (RCSD) is poised to be the recipient of $400,000, all aimed to benefit its middle school students through
Kay U. Brooks presented with Don Poole AwardSacramento, CA,- Attorney Kay U. Brooks of Weintraub Tobin was recently awarded the Sacramento Region Community Foundation's prestigious Don Poole Award for her significant contributions
Arson Damage at Margaret Azevedo Park in RocklinRocklin, CA,- On February 17th 2018 at about 10:38 PM, Rocklin Police Officers responded to Margret Azevedo Park in the report of a play structure on fire
NEWS: In Case You Missed It