Crazy Rocklin Dog Ingests London Broil and Survives
With the anticipation of a tasty family dinner later that evening, John Young of Rocklin, Calif., spent the day marinating nearly five pounds of London broil before placing it alongside a loaf of bread in the middle of his kitchen counter while he picked up his children from softball practice.
While John thought the food was out of the reach of Cali, his 5-year-old golden retriever, he returned home a few minutes later to find his pooch had devoured the entire meal.
The London broil led to tummy turmoil for Cali, resulting in a trip to the emergency animal hospital, earning her the title of November's "Most Unusual Claim of the Month" by Veterinary Pet Insurance Co. (VPI).
"I made a concerted effort to place the dish in the middle of the island in our kitchen, so it would be out of the reach of our little scavenger," explained John. "When I returned home five minutes later, the first thing I saw was the bread bag on the kitchen floor and Cali laying by the couch with 'that look' in her eyes. I thought she had just eaten the bread until I looked at the island and saw the dish sitting on the edge of the counter void of almost five pounds of meat."
Wanting to make sure that she would not become ill, John took Cali to the veterinary hospital where they took X-rays and induced vomiting. After nearly two hours at the hospital, Cali was sent home and put on a strict diet for a couple of days.
"Mr. Young was wise to seek medical attention for Cali," said Carol McConnell, DVM, MBA, vice president and chief veterinary medical officer for VPI. "Sudden changes in diet and extreme overconsumption of rich foods can cause pancreatitis. It's always important to keep your pet on his regular, veterinary-recommended diet. Double your vigilance during the holidays: That's when people tend to do more cooking, and a guest in your home might not be as careful to keep their food from your pets. Both of these scenarios create the opportunity for counter-cruisers, like Cali, to take advantage and help themselves!"
John purchased VPI Pet Insurance through his employer, Southwest Airlines, which is one of the more than 3,600 organizations and associations nationwide to offer VPI as a voluntary employee benefit. As a policyholder for just under a year, John was delighted to receive nearly a 98 percent reimbursement for Cali's London broil ingestion claim.
"One of the main reasons I purchased pet insurance for Cali was because she has a healthy curiosity for getting into things she shouldn't," explained John. "We have taken extra precautions to ensure we keep harmful items away from her, but I'm glad we have VPI in case we are faced with another unexpected incident."
Cali's incident was one of more than 80,000 claims received in the month of November by VPI, the nation's first and largest provider of pet health insurance, and was selected by VPI employees as the most unusual of the bunch. Honorable mentions in November included a cairn terrier who was hit by a dune buggy, a mixed-breed pooch who swallowed an acorn, and a Labrador retriever who suffered broken bones when his paws got stuck in a coyote trap.
All pets considered for the award made full recoveries and received insurance reimbursements for eligible expenses.
As the most unusual claim submitted in November, Cali will be in the running for the 2014 VPI Hambone Award. Other nominees include Pierre the French bulldog who took an unplanned dip in the swimming pool at a Fourth of July party, Heidi Elizabeth the American cocker spaniel who survived a two-story plunge out of her owner's home, and Roxy the German shepherd who crashed into and shattered a sliding glass door.
Pet Care | Real Estate | Restaurants | Tech | View All | * Add/Upgrade Business
Placer County News HeadlinesSmart Choice: Don't Drink and Drive Californians love to celebrate the Fourth of July with family, friends, food, and fireworks. All too often these celebrations and festivities turn tragic when someone decides
Quick Tips on Beating the HeatPlacer County public health officials are urging residents to take common-sense precautions so they and their families stay safe during this week's ongoing heat wave
Pet Safety Tips for 4th of JulyRoseville, CA - Fourth of July celebrations may be fun for you, but the pop, crackle and boom of fireworks can be terrifying for your pets.
West Nile Virus Concerns Heading into the 4th of JulyThe Placer Mosquito and Vector Control District reported today that five mosquito samples have tested positive for West Nile virus this week
Folsom Opens Water Play in ParksThe City of Folsom announced that it will open water play features at three Folsom parks in time for the upcoming hot holiday weekend.
Free Hazardous Waste Drop-Off July 11thPlacer County, CA - Looking for a free and convenient way to dispose of hazardous wastes that are collecting around your house?
50 Days of the Grateful Dead: Throwing StonesThe Grateful Dead roll through a 10-minute version of Throwing Stones from Hampton, VA in October of 1989.
Roseville Crime Report Digest Update (7.2.15)Roseville, CA - Weekly crime report digest update for Roseville, July 2, 2015.
50 Days of the Grateful Dead: One More Saturday NightA return to 1972 across the pond at Wembley Empire Pool find The Dead ripping through a scorching version of One More Saturday Night
Opinion: Let's Be CivilAccelerating the decline of citizen engagement in our government are two notable demographic shifts underway
Roseville Hosting Chicks with Sticks Lacrosse TournamentSwashbuckler Lacrosse is breaking new ground with their upcoming Chicks with Sticks Lacrosse Tournament on July 11-12
John Adams Academy Finalizes Purchase of Campus in RosevilleRoseville, CA - Officials from John Adams Academy (JAA) charter school in Roseville announced today they have finalized the purchase of the former Heald College building
NEWS: In Case You Missed It