Tips for Pets during Holiday Season
Roseville, CA - Many of the things that make the holidays special, including large gatherings, food, and holiday decorations can be hazardous for our pets. With a few simple precautions, the whole family can bask in good cheer.
Please keep the following in mind as you celebrate the holiday season:
- Poinsettias, Mistletoe, and Holly can be poisonous to our pets if nibbled or eaten. In addition, live and artificial Christmas Trees can contain poisonous pesticides, lead, or other harmful materials that could pose a danger to our pets.
- Keep decorations out of reach of playful pets. Ribbons and sparkling lights may be attractive to your pets but they can be very harmful and even fatal.
- Don't over-indulge your pets with treats. Changing your pet's diet abruptly can upset their stomach, causing diarrhea and/or vomiting. Additionally, foods that we commonly consume can be poisonous to your pet, such as tomato pulp, olives, mushrooms, and chocolate.
- Busy holiday gatherings are a prime time for pets to slip out of the house. Make sure Fido finds his way back home by keeping up-to-date and legible identification on your pets at all times. The Placer SPCA strongly advises that all dogs and cats be microchipped, and offers microchip implants for $15 during monthly clinics or $20 during all business hours.
- Provide a safe and quiet place for your pets during the holiday gatherings. Even the most social pets can become overwhelmed when there are lots of people and lots of excitement.
- Adopt, Don't Shop - If you or someone you know will be adding a pet to their family, please adopt from your local animal shelter or a reputable rescue organization. There are many homeless animals looking for the best gift of all this season - a loving home.
If you have questions regarding animal care and behavior, please contact the Placer SPCA at (916) 782-7722 or (530) 885-7387 or visit www.placerspca.org
Print This Article
Placer County News HeadlinesWhy We Dumped AT&T for T-MobileAT&T Dumped for T-Mobile: It's never hard to find dissatisfied customers when it comes to any of the major cell phone service providers. An Internet search quickly uncovers...
Ford Escape: A Refined Compact SUVA year ago, Ford did the logical thing - redesigning the popular Escape, something that hadn't been done since 2008. The result: a much improved sport utility vehicle.
TahoeSkiWorld.com Covers Lake Tahoe Ski SceneJeffrey Weidel has recently introduced a new website TahoeSkiWorld.com that provides stories, photos, videos and social media coverage of Lake Tahoe's 15 diverse ski resorts.
Proposed Auburn Costco Terms Under ReviewAuburn, CA -- The Placer County Board of Supervisors will review key financial terms Tuesday for a prospective ground lease agreement with Costco Wholesale Corp. that include a company contribution to help
Indigenous Peoples Days in Rocklin March 19-22Rocklin, CA--Sierra College's Native American Club, the New Legacy Committee, the Sierra College Press and Heyday Books will cosponsor a four-day event: Indigenous Peoples Days during its Yomen Weda or Spring Equinox Festival
Beth Gaines Announces Re-Election BidROSEVILLE- Small business owner and State Assemblywoman Beth Gaines (R-Roseville) announced her bid for re-election to California's Sixth Assembly District.
Roseville Company Partners in $39 Million Apartment CommunityBased in Roseville, USA Properties Fund Inc. debuted the Mayfair Court - a 93-unit apartment community at 65 McCreery Avenue in San Jose on March 6.
Placer County Water Agency Meets Stewardship CommitmentsManaging California's complex water storage and delivery system is a never-ending balancing act between supply, demand, and environmental considerations, especially during a severe water shortage.
Safeway and Albertsons Announce Merger AgreementSafeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY) and Albertsons announced today a definitive agreement under which AB Acquisition LLC ("AB Acquisition") will acquire all outstanding shares of Safeway
Roseville Crime Report Digest (3-6-14)The Roseville Police Department crime report digest March 6, 2014.
Plane Crash in Placer County UpdateA plane crash approximately 3-4 miles south by south east of the Truckee Airport. The decedent is 55 year old Darla Farnell.
Placer SPCA Seeks 2014 Hero Awards NominationsRoseville, CA - Placer SPCA is seeking nominations for the 2014 Hero Awards, to be presented at the 13th annual Funny Bones Comedy and Awards Night on Friday, April 25.