Placer County Fire Danger on the Rise Due to Weather
SHARE with Friend
Dry conditions this winter in Roseville and throughout California mean it's time to take extra precautions to protect your home from the threat of wildfires.
Persistent, dry, windy conditions with low humidity has caused Cal Fire to issue Red Flag Warning up and down the state, including parts of Placer County.
In response to the ongoing wildfire threat across California, the nonprofit Federal Alliance for Safe Homes (FLASH) offers the following prevention tips to protect homes and prepare families at risk.
Protect Your Home
- Clean your gutters, eaves and roof to make sure they are clear of debris
- Make sure your street number is legible and clearly marked for emergency responders
- Remove fuels that can lead flames to your home or that can become ignited from windblown embers, including:
- Dead grass, leaves, etc. (fine fuels) and dead twigs, branches, etc. (coarse fuels) within 30 feet of buildings.
- Dry leaf/pine litter from roofs, rain gutters, decks and walkways
- Dead and dry litter at the base of plants
- Tree branches (ladder fuels) within 6-10 feet of the ground
- Firewood within 30 feet of buildings
- Continuous beds of combustible vegetation (on the ground or in tree tops) that can bring large flames within 100 feet of your home
- Identify an emergency water supply for firefighting within 1,000 feet of your home through one of the following:
- Community water/hydrant system, and/or
- Drafting site on a lake
- Cooperative emergency storage tank with neighbors
- Swimming pool
Prepare Your Family
- Have a fire disaster plan including at least two, pre-determined evacuation routes, a NOAA Weather Radio and disaster kit for your family
- Follow any and all evacuation orders immediately
Additional information is available on Cal-Fire website
Print This Article
Placer County News HeadlinesLake Tahoe Marathon Returns September 14thArguably the most beautiful marathon in the world, the Lake Tahoe Marathon returns to Lake Tahoe on Sunday September 14, 2014. Since its inception in 1995, the Lake Tahoe Marathon has evolved into a premier running event
3 Month Old Dies in Sacramento, Parents JailedAshleigh Smith and the 19-year-old father, Terry Scott, were interviewed, they were both booked that night into the Sacramento County Jail on felony child abuse/neglect charges.
Dropping Gas Prices Lift Summer DriversLocal gas prices continue to drop and bring relief to drivers across California and the nation.
Inter-Faith Task Force Seeks New MembersThe Roseville Police Department is hosting an Inter-Faith Task Force comprised of congregational leaders and security teams for churches and other
Lake Tahoe Basin Community Plan Environmental ReviewWith the release of the Notice of Preparation (NOP) for the Environmental Impact Statement/Report, the ongoing update to the complex Tahoe Basin Community Plan continues to make progress
Preventive Autism Treatment Focus of Research AwardsResearch could affect nearly one in every four cases of autism among children in the U.S.
Simple Changes Helping California Small Businesses and EntrepreneursIt's not easy doing business in California. In order to be successful, business owners must overcome many challenges, one of which is dealing with California's complicated tax system
Hyundai scores with Santa Fe SUVsOne of Hyundai's more impressive vehicles is the 2014 Santa Fe, a sport utility vehicle that has three rows and seats seven. It replaced the 2012 Veracruz in the Hyundai lineup.
Adoption Involving Fetal Alcohol SyndromeLaura Bloch adored his picture. "My husband and I had just been approved through an adoption agency and the agency sent out a letter with a picture of a child on it,"
Placer County Wines Honored with 52 AwardsPlacer County Wine Trail wines have delighted judges' taste buds again at this year's California State Fair Commercial Wine Competition.
Border Crisis and Illegal Immigration in the United StatesCongressman McClintock recently delivered the following remarks on the House floor regarding the United States Border Crisis.
Influences of Cognitive Abilities in Old Age StudyEarly life experiences, such as childhood socioeconomic status and literacy, may have greater influence on the risk of cognitive impairment late in life than such demographic characteristics