Placer County Fire Danger on the Rise Due to Weather
Dry conditions this winter in Roseville and throughout California mean it's time to take extra precautions to protect your home from the threat of wildfires.
Persistent, dry, windy conditions with low humidity has caused Cal Fire to issue Red Flag Warning up and down the state, including parts of Placer County.
In response to the ongoing wildfire threat across California, the nonprofit Federal Alliance for Safe Homes (FLASH) offers the following prevention tips to protect homes and prepare families at risk.
Protect Your Home
- Clean your gutters, eaves and roof to make sure they are clear of debris
- Make sure your street number is legible and clearly marked for emergency responders
- Remove fuels that can lead flames to your home or that can become ignited from windblown embers, including:
- Dead grass, leaves, etc. (fine fuels) and dead twigs, branches, etc. (coarse fuels) within 30 feet of buildings.
- Dry leaf/pine litter from roofs, rain gutters, decks and walkways
- Dead and dry litter at the base of plants
- Tree branches (ladder fuels) within 6-10 feet of the ground
- Firewood within 30 feet of buildings
- Continuous beds of combustible vegetation (on the ground or in tree tops) that can bring large flames within 100 feet of your home
- Identify an emergency water supply for firefighting within 1,000 feet of your home through one of the following:
- Community water/hydrant system, and/or
- Drafting site on a lake
- Cooperative emergency storage tank with neighbors
- Swimming pool
Prepare Your Family
- Have a fire disaster plan including at least two, pre-determined evacuation routes, a NOAA Weather Radio and disaster kit for your family
- Follow any and all evacuation orders immediately
Additional information is available on Cal-Fire website
Print This Article
Placer County News Headlines54 Year Old Roseville Woman Killed with Own VehicleRoseville- 54-year-old Bernadette Ann Richardson was killed when her SUV rolled backwards as she was retrieving a bicycle from her 1997 Ford Explorer.
Photos: Napa Earthquake DamageWe recently had the opportunity to tour Napa following the magnitude 6.0 earthquake. The downtown area of Napa which contains many older buildings was hit especially hard.
California Senate Passes New Gun Violence BillCalifornia's state today passed the "Gun Violence Restraining Order (AB 1014)," legislation that would allow family members or law enforcement to petition a court
Laura's Law Implementation in Placer CountyPlacer County became the sixth county in California Tuesday to implement Laura's Law - a state statute that authorizes court-ordered assisted outpatient treatment of residents with severe
$22 Million Animal Services Center in Auburn Moves ForwardThe Placer County Board of Supervisors awarded a design-build contract on Tuesday that paves the way for construction of a long-planned Animal Services Center in North Auburn that
Autism in Girls Study Launched in CaliforniaAutism is far more common in boys than girls - affecting 1 in 54 boys and 1 in 252 girls - but little is known about biological differences between boys and girls with autism.
Sierra Shoot Out Water Polo Tournament in RocklinThe Sierra Shoot Out Water Polo tournament is back for another year at Sierra College. The junior college has hosted this high school tournament for over 20 years
What is Slowing the California Housing Recovery?Realtor, Julie Jalone of MagnumOne Realty in Roseville, writes about why the California and Sacramento housing markets are not expanding as fast as expected. Find out what Julie thinks is contributing to a slower real estate market.
Circus Vargas in Roseville this September Roseville,CA -- Get ready for the ultimate entertainment extravaganza for all ages as the circus comes to Roseville.
Hot Pink Fun Run in Downtown Roseville September 28thRegistration is now open for the 7th Annual Hot Pink Fun Run, a family-friendly run, walk and fun zone on Sunday, September 28, 2014.
Monty Python's Spamalot at Roseville TheaterSPAMALOT tells the legendary tale of King Arthur's quest to find the Holy Grail. However, diverting a bit from the true story, this hilarious musical
High Marks for Sierra College Energy Tech StudentsThe Sierra College Energy Technology students who took the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners Entry-level exam in June 2014, all passed.