Roseville, Rocklin among California's Best Cities for Home Ownership
In a recent Nerd Wallet report, Rocklin, Folsom, and Roseville, rank 11th through 13th (respectively) among California's Best Cities for Homeownership.
Although California's economy has recovered from the recession, housing is a problem that persists.
The Golden State's housing shortage, coupled with stricter credit standards, has made homes in California among the most expensive in the nation. According to a 2014 report by the California Department of Housing and Community Development, 4 out of 5 of the least affordable U.S. metropolitan areas are in California. As well, the state has the largest share of households that pay more than 50 percent of their income toward housing costs.
Despite high housing costs, California remains a popular place to live with a 34-month population growth of 2.9%, compared with the national average of 2.4%. These conditions mean finding affordable housing in the state is more difficult than ever. NerdWallet, your trusted financial friend, crunched the data and found the top places in California for homeownership. Our analysis answered three main questions:
- Are homes available? We looked at an area's homeownership rate to determine the availability of homes. A low homeownership rate is likely a signal of competitive inventory, more options for renters rather than buyers and expensive housing. Areas with a high homeownership rate led to a higher overall score.
- Can you afford to live there? We looked at median household income, monthly homeowner costs and median home value to assess affordability and determine whether residents could live comfortably in the area. We used monthly homeowner costs to measure cost of living. Areas with high median incomes and low cost of living scored higher. Are you thinking about buying a home? Learn more about current mortgage rates and mortgage refinancing options in our mortgage guide, as well as whether it's best to rent or buy.
- Is the area growing? We measured population growth to ensure that the area is attracting new residents and showing signs of solid growth. This is likely a signal of a robust local economy, which is another attractive characteristic for homebuyers.
For more details on our methodology, please see the section at the end of the report.
Here's what the top places in California all had in common:
- Californians are comfortable living in suburbs, with only three places in our top 10 located close (under 30 miles) to major cities.
- Our top locations are all seeing rapid growth in population, and all 10 have seen population increases of at least 5% or more from 2010 to 2012.
- Homeownership costs take up a large portion of Californians' income, with residents in none of our top 10 cities paying less than a third of their income toward housing costs (this amount is considered the standard of affordability by the Department of Housing and Urban Development).
California's Best Cities for Homeownership
The full report may be accessed at Nerd Wallet.
Pet Care | Real Estate | Restaurants | Tech | View All | * Add/Upgrade Business
Placer County News HeadlinesHeat Accelerates Dry in California DroughtDrought Watch: Although record low precipitation has been the main driver of one of the worst droughts in California history, abnormally high temperatures have also played an important role
Angelo K. Tsakopoulos Family Donates Lincoln Acreage to Dignity HealthDignity Health announced today that it has received a gift of 32.85 acres of vacant land in Lincoln from the Angelo K. and Sofia Tsakopoulos family, a gift valued at more than $10 million.
Food and Wine Event in Downtown Roseville May 29thRoseville, CA -- Get your tickets now for Placer County's only dog-friendly food & wine tasting event.
$18 Million for Humanitarian Assistance for Ukraine CrisisThe United States remains concerned by the growing humanitarian crisis in eastern Ukraine, particularly in areas occupied by combined Russian-separatist forces
Santa Barbara Oil Spill Cleanup Orders Issued by FedsThe United States issues cleanup order to owner of ruptured Refugio Beach oil pipeline. Federal order ensures continued action on Santa Barbara County spill.
Auburn Homeless Shelter Opens June 1stA temporary homeless shelter operated by Volunteers of America and funded by Right Hand Auburn is scheduled to open at the Placer County Government Center
Roseville Chamber of Commerce Events June 2015The Roseville Chamber of Commerce gears up for another month of business events for June 2015.
Roseville Sorority Chapter Supports Former Foster Youth at Sierra CollegeSusan Goto and Carol Sue Acres, representing the Alpha Delta Kappa Beta ETA Chapter in Roseville, stopped by the Sierra College Foundation Office
Tahoe City Bridge Nears ApprovalTahoe Regional Planning Agency Board vote remains for final approval of new bridge in Tahoe City
PAC Track and Field Championships in Rocklin at Whitney HighRocklin, CA - The Pacific Association Youth Championships (PAC) for track and field will take place at Whitney High School in Rocklin on May 30-31.
Roseville Gas Prices Tick Down: Find the Best DealsRoseville gas prices are down slightly this week and are expected to have peaked for 2015. That's good news for summer travelers and commuters.
Adult Literacy in Placer CountyA local business owner in her mid-30's recently contacted the Placer Adult Literacy Service (PALS) requesting tutoring.
NEWS: In Case You Missed It