Roseville, Rocklin among California's Best Cities for Home Ownership
In a recent Nerd Wallet report, Rocklin, Folsom, and Roseville, rank 11th through 13th (respectively) among California's Best Cities for Homeownership.
Although California's economy has recovered from the recession, housing is a problem that persists.
The Golden State's housing shortage, coupled with stricter credit standards, has made homes in California among the most expensive in the nation. According to a 2014 report by the California Department of Housing and Community Development, 4 out of 5 of the least affordable U.S. metropolitan areas are in California. As well, the state has the largest share of households that pay more than 50 percent of their income toward housing costs.
Despite high housing costs, California remains a popular place to live with a 34-month population growth of 2.9%, compared with the national average of 2.4%. These conditions mean finding affordable housing in the state is more difficult than ever. NerdWallet, your trusted financial friend, crunched the data and found the top places in California for homeownership. Our analysis answered three main questions:
- Are homes available? We looked at an area's homeownership rate to determine the availability of homes. A low homeownership rate is likely a signal of competitive inventory, more options for renters rather than buyers and expensive housing. Areas with a high homeownership rate led to a higher overall score.
- Can you afford to live there? We looked at median household income, monthly homeowner costs and median home value to assess affordability and determine whether residents could live comfortably in the area. We used monthly homeowner costs to measure cost of living. Areas with high median incomes and low cost of living scored higher. Are you thinking about buying a home? Learn more about current mortgage rates and mortgage refinancing options in our mortgage guide, as well as whether it's best to rent or buy.
- Is the area growing? We measured population growth to ensure that the area is attracting new residents and showing signs of solid growth. This is likely a signal of a robust local economy, which is another attractive characteristic for homebuyers.
For more details on our methodology, please see the section at the end of the report.
Here's what the top places in California all had in common:
- Californians are comfortable living in suburbs, with only three places in our top 10 located close (under 30 miles) to major cities.
- Our top locations are all seeing rapid growth in population, and all 10 have seen population increases of at least 5% or more from 2010 to 2012.
- Homeownership costs take up a large portion of Californians' income, with residents in none of our top 10 cities paying less than a third of their income toward housing costs (this amount is considered the standard of affordability by the Department of Housing and Urban Development).
California's Best Cities for Homeownership
The full report may be accessed at Nerd Wallet.
Pet Care | Real Estate | Restaurants | Tech | View All | * Add/Upgrade Business
Placer County News Headlines7 Tips To Consider: Changing Your LandscapingDrought Watch:The water crisis facing California is serious and carries imminent environmental, financial and human impacts.
Rocklin Police Officers Honored by MADDOn April 23, 2015, three Rocklin Police Officers were honored at the Sacramento Region Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD) at an annual luncheon
Roseville Police Warn of Grandparent ScamRoseville Police report that they have had had two elderly residents fall victim to the "grandparent scam" this month.
Roseville Crime Report Digest Update (4.24.15)Weekly crime report update digest for Roseville, April 24, 2015
Maui: Kapalua features some terrific dining optionsRest assured, there will be no shortage of great dining options when visiting the Kapalua region of Maui
Beatles Tribute in Auburn May 17thIn My Life - A Musical Theatre Tribute to the Beatles is the nationally touring musical biography of the Beatles through the eyes of manager Brian Epstein
Roseville Hosting USA Ultimate Regional ChampionshipsUSA Ultimate Southwest Regional College Championships will be held May 2-3 at Maidu Park in Roseville.
10 Billion Gallons of Water to Save a Few Fish?Drought Watch: Congressman Tom McClintock issued the following speech regarding a 10 billion gallon water release from the New Melones Dam.
Public Invited to Baker's Nursery in LoomisThe Patrons, a volunteer arm of the Sierra College Foundation, invite the public and those interested in becoming members of the organization to attend the May 4
Auburn Library Getting Spruced UpAfter 21 years of high traffic use, the flooring in the Auburn branch of the Placer County Library is worn out
Real Estate: New Home Sales - Get Help!Realtor, Julie Jalone of MagnumOne Realty in Roseville, writes about new home sales and how buyers can save money when dealing directly with the builder.
Tour of Unison Comfort Technologies OfferedOn April 27, tour Unison Comfort Technologies, located in McClellan Park, to see how this company develops and manufactures customer-centric commercial HVAC systems
NEWS: In Case You Missed It