Roseville, Rocklin among California's Best Cities for Home Ownership
In a recent Nerd Wallet report, Rocklin, Folsom, and Roseville, rank 11th through 13th (respectively) among California's Best Cities for Homeownership.
Although California's economy has recovered from the recession, housing is a problem that persists.
The Golden State's housing shortage, coupled with stricter credit standards, has made homes in California among the most expensive in the nation. According to a 2014 report by the California Department of Housing and Community Development, 4 out of 5 of the least affordable U.S. metropolitan areas are in California. As well, the state has the largest share of households that pay more than 50 percent of their income toward housing costs.
Despite high housing costs, California remains a popular place to live with a 34-month population growth of 2.9%, compared with the national average of 2.4%. These conditions mean finding affordable housing in the state is more difficult than ever. NerdWallet, your trusted financial friend, crunched the data and found the top places in California for homeownership. Our analysis answered three main questions:
- Are homes available? We looked at an area's homeownership rate to determine the availability of homes. A low homeownership rate is likely a signal of competitive inventory, more options for renters rather than buyers and expensive housing. Areas with a high homeownership rate led to a higher overall score.
- Can you afford to live there? We looked at median household income, monthly homeowner costs and median home value to assess affordability and determine whether residents could live comfortably in the area. We used monthly homeowner costs to measure cost of living. Areas with high median incomes and low cost of living scored higher. Are you thinking about buying a home? Learn more about current mortgage rates and mortgage refinancing options in our mortgage guide, as well as whether it's best to rent or buy.
- Is the area growing? We measured population growth to ensure that the area is attracting new residents and showing signs of solid growth. This is likely a signal of a robust local economy, which is another attractive characteristic for homebuyers.
For more details on our methodology, please see the section at the end of the report.
Here's what the top places in California all had in common:
- Californians are comfortable living in suburbs, with only three places in our top 10 located close (under 30 miles) to major cities.
- Our top locations are all seeing rapid growth in population, and all 10 have seen population increases of at least 5% or more from 2010 to 2012.
- Homeownership costs take up a large portion of Californians' income, with residents in none of our top 10 cities paying less than a third of their income toward housing costs (this amount is considered the standard of affordability by the Department of Housing and Urban Development).
California's Best Cities for Homeownership
The full report may be accessed at Nerd Wallet.
Pet Care | Real Estate | Restaurants | Tech | View All | * Add/Upgrade Business
Placer County News HeadlinesJoyce and Jim Raley Teel & Joseph Gallo HonoredMore than 700 guests came out to honor Joyce and Jim Raley Teel, Raley's Family of Fine Stores and Joseph E. Gallo at their induction into the California Grocers Association Educational
Roseville Solar City Location Looks to Fill 300 JobsSolarCity , one of the nation's leading solar providers, announced its move into a vast new Roseville, California office to accommodate its growing local staff.
Republicans Start Swinging in Auburn Golf BattleAuburn, CA- The temperature are rising and Republicans will be heating it up in Auburn at the 4th Annual Placer County Republican Golf Tournament
Top 100 Paying Jobs in California (Part 5)Part 5 in the countdown to #1 to the Top 100 Paying Jobs in California
Jessica's Law Enforcement Changes Prompt ResponseJessica's Law authors George and Sharon Runner today responded to a decision by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation to stop enforcing Jessica's Law residency
Maria Menounos: Special Olympics Global AmbassadorThe Special Olympics has announced that author and television personality Maria Menounos of E! is joining the Special Olympics family as the movement's newest Global Ambassador.
Van Halen to play Shoreline Amphitheatre on July 16For Northern California fans, Van Halen's only scheduled area appearance will take place at Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View on July 16.
Rocklin Home for Sale: Retreat at Whitney OaksA brand new, custom home on Whitney Oaks golf course lot is now available in Rocklin.
Placer County Ranks #1 in Quality of Life, Second HealthiestFor the third consecutive year, Placer County has ranked as the second healthiest county among California's 58 counties.
A Blue Tie Affair: KidsFirst Annual Luncheon April 16thThe 17th Annual Signature Luncheon promoting awareness for Child Abuse Prevention will be hosted by retired PCWA General Manager David Breninger and his wife Linda.
Roseville City Jail Slated for ConversionThe Roseville City Council has approved the conversion of the Roseville City Jail to an arrestee processing center when
Rocklin Crime Report Digest Update (3-26-15)Rocklin Police Department's weekly crime report digest update for the period of March 16- 22, 2015
NEWS: In Case You Missed It