Roseville, Rocklin among California's Best Cities for Home Ownership
In a recent Nerd Wallet report, Rocklin, Folsom, and Roseville, rank 11th through 13th (respectively) among California's Best Cities for Homeownership.
Although California's economy has recovered from the recession, housing is a problem that persists.
The Golden State's housing shortage, coupled with stricter credit standards, has made homes in California among the most expensive in the nation. According to a 2014 report by the California Department of Housing and Community Development, 4 out of 5 of the least affordable U.S. metropolitan areas are in California. As well, the state has the largest share of households that pay more than 50 percent of their income toward housing costs.
Despite high housing costs, California remains a popular place to live with a 34-month population growth of 2.9%, compared with the national average of 2.4%. These conditions mean finding affordable housing in the state is more difficult than ever. NerdWallet, your trusted financial friend, crunched the data and found the top places in California for homeownership. Our analysis answered three main questions:
- Are homes available? We looked at an area's homeownership rate to determine the availability of homes. A low homeownership rate is likely a signal of competitive inventory, more options for renters rather than buyers and expensive housing. Areas with a high homeownership rate led to a higher overall score.
- Can you afford to live there? We looked at median household income, monthly homeowner costs and median home value to assess affordability and determine whether residents could live comfortably in the area. We used monthly homeowner costs to measure cost of living. Areas with high median incomes and low cost of living scored higher. Are you thinking about buying a home? Learn more about current mortgage rates and mortgage refinancing options in our mortgage guide, as well as whether it's best to rent or buy.
- Is the area growing? We measured population growth to ensure that the area is attracting new residents and showing signs of solid growth. This is likely a signal of a robust local economy, which is another attractive characteristic for homebuyers.
For more details on our methodology, please see the section at the end of the report.
Here's what the top places in California all had in common:
- Californians are comfortable living in suburbs, with only three places in our top 10 located close (under 30 miles) to major cities.
- Our top locations are all seeing rapid growth in population, and all 10 have seen population increases of at least 5% or more from 2010 to 2012.
- Homeownership costs take up a large portion of Californians' income, with residents in none of our top 10 cities paying less than a third of their income toward housing costs (this amount is considered the standard of affordability by the Department of Housing and Urban Development).
California's Best Cities for Homeownership
The full report may be accessed at Nerd Wallet.
Pet Care | Real Estate | Restaurants | Tech | View All | * Add/Upgrade Business
Placer County News HeadlinesPlacer County Water Agency UpdatesAUBURN, Calif. - Recessing from their June 25, 2015 Board meeting, the Placer County Water Agency (PCWA) Board of Directors
Attempts to change Proposition 13 are misguidedThere's been no shortage of attempts in recent years in the State Legislature to overhaul Proposition 13-California's landmark initiative protecting homeowners and small business owners
50 Days of the Grateful Dead: Truckin' at Levi's StadiumTruckin' opens the Fare Thee Well Run in Santa Clara, CA at Levi's Stadium on June 27, 2015. Full setlist.
Gruesome Murders in Roseville Under InvestigationThe two men found shot and burning in Roseville Thursday night have died and the Placer County Sheriff's Office is asking for the public's help in solving this heinous crime.
Honda Accord Hybrid offers great performance, gas mileageIf you're considering purchasing a Honda Accord, the dilemma one could face is one of its primary competitors is conceivably the Accord Hybrid.
Roseville Gas Prices Push Below $2.90 GallonRoseville gas prices are trending downward, recently pushing below the $2.90 mark at a few locations throughout the city.
Roseville Utility Rate Hikes Begin July 1stThe Roseville City Council approved two consecutive annual rate increases for wastewater services that will kick in on July 1, 2015.
Dan Dugger to manage Rocklin Bass Pro Shops Outdoor WorldDan Dugger has been named store manager for the newBass Pro Shops Outdoor World store, which opens late summer in Rocklin, California.
Sierra College & Hacker Lab Open House in RocklinSierra College and Hacker Lab invite the community to an Open House on Tuesday, June 30 from 5:30-7:00 PM at 4804 Granite Dr., in Rocklin
Public Input Sought for Possible Auburn Area Community CenterStudying the feasibility of a potential community center that will serve people of all ages in the Auburn area is the focus of a Placer County effort that's now underway
Santucci Memorial Golf Tournament in Roseville this SeptemberThe 12th annual Bill Santucci Memorial Golf Tournament will take place Friday, Sept. 18 at Sierra View Country Club in Roseville.
Folsom, Sacramento Reach Settlement on Mather Airport ExpansionFolsom, CA - The City of Folsom and Sacramento County announced a settlement today over plans to expand Mather Airport.
NEWS: In Case You Missed It