Roseville, Rocklin among California's Best Cities for Home Ownership
In a recent Nerd Wallet report, Rocklin, Folsom, and Roseville, rank 11th through 13th (respectively) among California's Best Cities for Homeownership.
Although California's economy has recovered from the recession, housing is a problem that persists.
The Golden State's housing shortage, coupled with stricter credit standards, has made homes in California among the most expensive in the nation. According to a 2014 report by the California Department of Housing and Community Development, 4 out of 5 of the least affordable U.S. metropolitan areas are in California. As well, the state has the largest share of households that pay more than 50 percent of their income toward housing costs.
Despite high housing costs, California remains a popular place to live with a 34-month population growth of 2.9%, compared with the national average of 2.4%. These conditions mean finding affordable housing in the state is more difficult than ever. NerdWallet, your trusted financial friend, crunched the data and found the top places in California for homeownership. Our analysis answered three main questions:
- Are homes available? We looked at an area's homeownership rate to determine the availability of homes. A low homeownership rate is likely a signal of competitive inventory, more options for renters rather than buyers and expensive housing. Areas with a high homeownership rate led to a higher overall score.
- Can you afford to live there? We looked at median household income, monthly homeowner costs and median home value to assess affordability and determine whether residents could live comfortably in the area. We used monthly homeowner costs to measure cost of living. Areas with high median incomes and low cost of living scored higher. Are you thinking about buying a home? Learn more about current mortgage rates and mortgage refinancing options in our mortgage guide, as well as whether it's best to rent or buy.
- Is the area growing? We measured population growth to ensure that the area is attracting new residents and showing signs of solid growth. This is likely a signal of a robust local economy, which is another attractive characteristic for homebuyers.
For more details on our methodology, please see the section at the end of the report.
Here's what the top places in California all had in common:
- Californians are comfortable living in suburbs, with only three places in our top 10 located close (under 30 miles) to major cities.
- Our top locations are all seeing rapid growth in population, and all 10 have seen population increases of at least 5% or more from 2010 to 2012.
- Homeownership costs take up a large portion of Californians' income, with residents in none of our top 10 cities paying less than a third of their income toward housing costs (this amount is considered the standard of affordability by the Department of Housing and Urban Development).
California's Best Cities for Homeownership
The full report may be accessed at Nerd Wallet.
Pet Care | Real Estate | Restaurants | Tech | View All | * Add/Upgrade Business
Placer County News HeadlinesPlacer Rescue Mission Targets HomelessnessRoseville, CA - Placer Rescue Mission, a faith-based, nonprofit organization, aims to transform lives and end homelessness in Placer County by providing supportive housing
Roseville Banked Robbed AgainRoseville, CA- The Bank of America at 2221 Douglas Blvd. was robbed at about 1:45 p.m. yesterday, June 29, 2016.
Ian Anderson's Progressive Path: Founding member of Jethro Tull (part 2)(Part 2) - Soon, Anderson began training as a visual artist, which he felt gave him and many of his contemporaries a unique perspective on how he approached music
West Nile Virus in Placer County Spurs Treatment SprayingRoseville, CA- The Placer Mosquito and Vector Control District reported today that six mosquito samples and one dead bird have tested positive for West Nile virus this week
Trailhead Fire Updates: Mandatory Evacuations California Fire Updates 2016: Roseville, CA- Mandatory evacuations have been expanded in Placer County as the Trailhead Fire
4th of July Events in Roseville, Lincoln and AuburnRoseville, CA- The heat is on for the 4th of July events in Roseville and Placer County.
Foresthill Fire Grows: Steep Terrain and Limited AccessCalifornia Fire Updates 2016: The growing Trailhead Fire near Foresthill is currently being reported at 12 percent containment and has tripled in size to expanded to over 1,000 acres.
Ian Anderson's Progressive Path: Founding member of Jethro TullJethro Tull is considered by many to be one of the greatest progressive rock bands of all time. And Jethro Tull's 1972 album "Thick as a Brick" is considered to be one of the best progressive rock albums ever
Abalonetti Bar and Grill in MontereyMonterey, CA - On a recent visit to Monterey, we found ourselves enjoying the sights and sounds of Old Fisherman's Wharf
Raley's Ditching Sodas Deemed UnhealthyRoseville, CA- Raley's Family of Fine Stores has announced its decision to eliminate certain Raley's private label brand soda to advance their vision of health and wellness.
Downtown Roseville Partnership and Local Homeless Shelter AllianceRoseville, CA- The Downtown Roseville Partnership (DRP), in conjunction with The Gathering Inn (TGI), have launched a day porter program within the District.
Stand Up Placer gets helping hand from U.S. BankRoseville, CA, - Stand Up Placer today received a generous grant award of $10,000 and a sponsorship award of $2,500 from U.S. Bank
NEWS: In Case You Missed It