Roseville, Rocklin among California's Best Cities for Home Ownership
In a recent Nerd Wallet report, Rocklin, Folsom, and Roseville, rank 11th through 13th (respectively) among California's Best Cities for Homeownership.
Although California's economy has recovered from the recession, housing is a problem that persists.
The Golden State's housing shortage, coupled with stricter credit standards, has made homes in California among the most expensive in the nation. According to a 2014 report by the California Department of Housing and Community Development, 4 out of 5 of the least affordable U.S. metropolitan areas are in California. As well, the state has the largest share of households that pay more than 50 percent of their income toward housing costs.
Despite high housing costs, California remains a popular place to live with a 34-month population growth of 2.9%, compared with the national average of 2.4%. These conditions mean finding affordable housing in the state is more difficult than ever. NerdWallet, your trusted financial friend, crunched the data and found the top places in California for homeownership. Our analysis answered three main questions:
- Are homes available? We looked at an area's homeownership rate to determine the availability of homes. A low homeownership rate is likely a signal of competitive inventory, more options for renters rather than buyers and expensive housing. Areas with a high homeownership rate led to a higher overall score.
- Can you afford to live there? We looked at median household income, monthly homeowner costs and median home value to assess affordability and determine whether residents could live comfortably in the area. We used monthly homeowner costs to measure cost of living. Areas with high median incomes and low cost of living scored higher. Are you thinking about buying a home? Learn more about current mortgage rates and mortgage refinancing options in our mortgage guide, as well as whether it's best to rent or buy.
- Is the area growing? We measured population growth to ensure that the area is attracting new residents and showing signs of solid growth. This is likely a signal of a robust local economy, which is another attractive characteristic for homebuyers.
For more details on our methodology, please see the section at the end of the report.
Here's what the top places in California all had in common:
- Californians are comfortable living in suburbs, with only three places in our top 10 located close (under 30 miles) to major cities.
- Our top locations are all seeing rapid growth in population, and all 10 have seen population increases of at least 5% or more from 2010 to 2012.
- Homeownership costs take up a large portion of Californians' income, with residents in none of our top 10 cities paying less than a third of their income toward housing costs (this amount is considered the standard of affordability by the Department of Housing and Urban Development).
California's Best Cities for Homeownership
The full report may be accessed at Nerd Wallet.
Pet Care | Real Estate | Restaurants | Tech | View All | * Add/Upgrade Business
Placer County News HeadlinesSubaru BRZ: Reasonably priced old-school sports carRoseville, CA - For driving enthusiasts who want to own a light, agile car that provides an elusive fun factor while also looking cool, the smartly designed Subaru BRZ deserves a good look.
Roseville Gas Prices See DropRoseville, CA - While regional gas prices appear to have held steady, some gas station in Roseville are reporting a downward tick in prices.
Raising Awareness for Mental HealthIn the U.S., the month of May is (or was, depending on when your newspaper publishes this column) "Mental Health Awareness Month."
Roseville Flash Crime Report (5.21.16)Roseville, CA- Weekly crime report digest update summary in Roseville for the period covering May 13- 19, 2016.
Rocklin Flash Crime Report (5.21.16)Weekly flash crime report digest summary in Rocklin for the period covering May 9- 15, 2016.
Lake Tahoe Program Aims to Spark Redevelopment and Environmental ImprovementsA new Placer County program approved at this week's board of supervisors meeting is intended to spark investment in private projects
Coffee Drive Thru Boosts Granite Bay Safe and Sober Grad NightGranite Bay, Calif. - Dutch Bros Granite Bay, located at 8663 Auburn Folsom Rd., recently raised $2,800 to support Granite Bay High School's Safe and Sober Grad Night celebration
Roseville Road Construction and Improvements Slated for JuneRoseville, CA- The City of Roseville will soon begin work to improve sight distance on Roseville Road by widening and straightening
Mental Health Matters Month in Placer CountyIn Placer County, residents report an average of 3.5 poor mental health days in a 30-day period.
No Charges in Sun City Lincoln Hills AssaultLincoln, CA- The District Attorney's Office announced that no charges will be filed in connection with an assault that occurred in Sun City Lincoln Hills
Video Recap: Roseville Mass Casualty DrillROSEVILLE, Calif. -- First responders from 35 local agencies converged on Roseville to rescue the victims of a staged but horrific accident
Placer Veterans Stand Down Event in Roseville May 24-26ROSEVILLE - Placer Veterans Stand Down, a non-profit organization whose mission is to help the Veteran population, is gearing up for its annual event May 24-26 at the Placer County Fairgrounds
NEWS: In Case You Missed It