People with Autism Especially Vulnerable
Perhaps like you, recently I read of an incident in Okeechobee, Florida, in which an 18-year-old man was recorded on video beating, choking, kicking, and holding a knife to the throat of a 16-year-old boy with autism. It made national news.
The National Institutes of Health defines autism spectrum disorder as "a range of complex neurodevelopment disorders, characterized by social impairments, communication difficulties, and restricted, repetitive, and stereotyped patterns of behavior." Due to lacking social skills, children with autism are at risk of being bullied or abused.
As an experiment, I recently Googled "autistic boy 2014" to see what I would find. Besides a number of internet "missing autistic boy" articles, I found many disturbing newspaper and TV stories about boys with autism being bullied or abused. (I placed "autistic" into Google because most media outlets still refer to children with autism as "autistic"; and "boy" because 80 percent of people with autism are male.)
Here's a sampling of what I found for 2014.
- In Maryland, two teenage girls faced sentencing after holding a butcher's knife to the throat of a 16-year-old boy with autism and luring him onto a half-frozen pond until he broke through. They refused to help. They recorded the incident on a cellphone.
- Two California parents were arrested for rooming their 11-year-old son in a large dog kennel.
- A New York City paraprofessional punched an 11-year-old boy with autism in a school cafeteria. Police, after watching video, charged the paraprofessional with felony assault, endangering a minor's welfare, menacing, and harassment. The boy had spilled water, and had not understood the paraprofessional's request to clean it up.
- A Michigan teacher verbally mocked in class a 10-year-old male student with autism stuck in a chair. She recorded the incident on her cellphone.
- In Texas, three teens robbed at gunpoint, beat, and knocked down a 17-year-old boy with autism.
- Recorded on video in a Walmart parking lot, a Florida man was arrested on child abuse charges for beating with closed fist a nonverbal, 13-year-old boy with autism.
- Also in Florida, and on video, a special education school bus driver was arrested on child abuse charges for repeatedly slapping across the face a 10-year-old boy with autism physically restrained in a harness while on the bus.
Remember, people of all ages with autism are especially vulnerable. If you witness an incident, do the right thing. Immediately report it.
Print This Article
LittleGiantFudge.com and Palmer Bus Service make this column possible.
Daniel J. Vance is a licensed professional counselor and national certified counselor from Vernon Center, Minn. His weekly newspaper column Disabilities has been published in more than 260 newspapers.
Daniel J. Vance may be reached at www.danieljvance.com
Placer County News HeadlinesJeep Grand Cherokee: More Refined Than EverA 2014 "refreshening" has given the Grand Cherokee a more modern, sophisticated look that will have admirers giving it the double take.
People & Culture Days in Rocklin October 22- 23Rocklin, CA - Have you ever sampled Persian food? Have you listened to Peruvian music? Can you make a Japanese origami crane? Would you like to get a henna tattoo?
Heartstoppers Haunted House Frightening Ghosts and Ghouls You will be scared out of your wits for a good cause this October as the Heartstoppers Haunted House returns to the former Mine Shaft venue
PCWA Encourages Rapid Watershed ProtectionIn wake of the King Fire, the Placer County Water Agency is encouraging expanded and rapid remediation of heavily burned National Forest Lands to protect water quality of the Rubicon River watershed before winter storms.
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy at Thunder Valley on New Year's EveGuests will have the chance to purchase tickets to Thunder Valley Casino Resort's much anticipated $100k Big Easy New Year's Eve Celebration Main Event- as tickets go on sale Saturday, October 18 for Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.
Ebola Virus: Oral and Facial Surgeons AdvisoryThe California Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (CALAOMS) has issued an advisory to all oral and facial surgeons in California that provides important guidance on Ebola virus
$24 Million Makeover for South Tahoe's MontBleu ResortRenovations exceeding $24 million at MontBleu Resort that include the casino floor, convention center and all 437-rooms from the 17th floor and down will begin
Roseville California Crime Brief (10.17.14)Crime brief report for Roseville, California for October 17, 2014
Free Drip Irrigation Workshop in Granite BayDrought Watch: Saturday October 18, San Juan Water District experts will be hosting a free water conservation workshop for its customers and neighbors
2014 Rocklin MobilePack Gets Boost from Wells FargoA three-day, all-volunteer effort for area residents to pack meals for malnourished children around the world has received a big boost from Wells Fargo.
141 Pounds of Weed, Psychedelic Mushrooms in Roseville Police BustBrian Lee Feld Getz, age 36 of Grass Valley and Timothy Conway Reimer, age 33 of Philadelphia were jailed on suspicion of possessing and selling marijuana, and conspiracy.
Rocklin Woman Arrested in Day Spa Pimping CaseZulgerel Baker, 35, of Rocklin, was arrested following a nine-month-long Placer County Sheriff's Office investigation.