People with Autism Especially Vulnerable
Perhaps like you, recently I read of an incident in Okeechobee, Florida, in which an 18-year-old man was recorded on video beating, choking, kicking, and holding a knife to the throat of a 16-year-old boy with autism. It made national news.
The National Institutes of Health defines autism spectrum disorder as "a range of complex neurodevelopment disorders, characterized by social impairments, communication difficulties, and restricted, repetitive, and stereotyped patterns of behavior." Due to lacking social skills, children with autism are at risk of being bullied or abused.
As an experiment, I recently Googled "autistic boy 2014" to see what I would find. Besides a number of internet "missing autistic boy" articles, I found many disturbing newspaper and TV stories about boys with autism being bullied or abused. (I placed "autistic" into Google because most media outlets still refer to children with autism as "autistic"; and "boy" because 80 percent of people with autism are male.)
Here's a sampling of what I found for 2014.
- In Maryland, two teenage girls faced sentencing after holding a butcher's knife to the throat of a 16-year-old boy with autism and luring him onto a half-frozen pond until he broke through. They refused to help. They recorded the incident on a cellphone.
- Two California parents were arrested for rooming their 11-year-old son in a large dog kennel.
- A New York City paraprofessional punched an 11-year-old boy with autism in a school cafeteria. Police, after watching video, charged the paraprofessional with felony assault, endangering a minor's welfare, menacing, and harassment. The boy had spilled water, and had not understood the paraprofessional's request to clean it up.
- A Michigan teacher verbally mocked in class a 10-year-old male student with autism stuck in a chair. She recorded the incident on her cellphone.
- In Texas, three teens robbed at gunpoint, beat, and knocked down a 17-year-old boy with autism.
- Recorded on video in a Walmart parking lot, a Florida man was arrested on child abuse charges for beating with closed fist a nonverbal, 13-year-old boy with autism.
- Also in Florida, and on video, a special education school bus driver was arrested on child abuse charges for repeatedly slapping across the face a 10-year-old boy with autism physically restrained in a harness while on the bus.
Remember, people of all ages with autism are especially vulnerable. If you witness an incident, do the right thing. Immediately report it.
LittleGiantFudge.com and Palmer Bus Service make this column possible.
Daniel J. Vance is a licensed professional counselor and national certified counselor from Vernon Center, Minn. His weekly newspaper column Disabilities has been published in more than 260 newspapers.
Daniel J. Vance may be reached at www.danieljvance.com
Pet Care | Real Estate | Restaurants | Tech | View All | * Add/Upgrade Business
Placer County News HeadlinesCalifornia Nut Festival Tickets on Sale March 6thTickets for the 2015 California Nut Festival held in Chico go on sale March 6th.
Ophir Gardens: Safe Water Flows AgainResidents of Ophir Gardens no longer have to worry about having a safe, reliable water supply.
Substitute Teacher Recruitment Fair in Roseville Roseville, CA - Brandman University is hosting a free Substitute Recruitment Fair in Roseville March 5th
Rocklin Crime Report Digest Update (3-3-15)Rocklin weekly crime report update for the period of February 23,2015 to March 1, 2015.
STEM Expo in Rocklin at WJU March 7thWilliam Jessup University will host Placer County's Fifth Annual STEM Expo on Saturday, March 7, 2015.
Shouldn't California Have the Best Roads By Now?If high taxes guaranteed results, then California should have some of the best roads in the nation.
Roseville Gas Prices Skyrocketing: Find the Lowest PricesRoseville gas prices are skyrocketing with average retail gasoline prices up approximately 40 cents this week alone.
Run 4 Roseville April 26th on Maidu ParkRun 4 Roseville will take places on Sunday, April 26th 8:30am at Maidu Community Park in Roseville.
Rocklin Hit By Overnight Crime SpreeRocklin Police Department responded to several reports of vandalisms, burglaries, and stolen vehicles and 15 reported vandalisms.
Mark Randall on Making Products Customers LoveIn Rocklin March 11th, Sierra College and Hacker Lab Present Mark Randall Speaking on "Making Products Customers Love"
50 Days of the Dead: Brokedown PalaceDecember 12, 1971 version of the Grateful Dead doing Brokedown Palace at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor Michigan
Reliability remains Honda Accord calling cardHonda has historically produced a great vehicle in the Accord, which has been at or near the top of midsize class for many years.
NEWS: In Case You Missed It