People with Autism Especially Vulnerable
Perhaps like you, recently I read of an incident in Okeechobee, Florida, in which an 18-year-old man was recorded on video beating, choking, kicking, and holding a knife to the throat of a 16-year-old boy with autism. It made national news.
The National Institutes of Health defines autism spectrum disorder as "a range of complex neurodevelopment disorders, characterized by social impairments, communication difficulties, and restricted, repetitive, and stereotyped patterns of behavior." Due to lacking social skills, children with autism are at risk of being bullied or abused.
As an experiment, I recently Googled "autistic boy 2014" to see what I would find. Besides a number of internet "missing autistic boy" articles, I found many disturbing newspaper and TV stories about boys with autism being bullied or abused. (I placed "autistic" into Google because most media outlets still refer to children with autism as "autistic"; and "boy" because 80 percent of people with autism are male.)
Here's a sampling of what I found for 2014.
- In Maryland, two teenage girls faced sentencing after holding a butcher's knife to the throat of a 16-year-old boy with autism and luring him onto a half-frozen pond until he broke through. They refused to help. They recorded the incident on a cellphone.
- Two California parents were arrested for rooming their 11-year-old son in a large dog kennel.
- A New York City paraprofessional punched an 11-year-old boy with autism in a school cafeteria. Police, after watching video, charged the paraprofessional with felony assault, endangering a minor's welfare, menacing, and harassment. The boy had spilled water, and had not understood the paraprofessional's request to clean it up.
- A Michigan teacher verbally mocked in class a 10-year-old male student with autism stuck in a chair. She recorded the incident on her cellphone.
- In Texas, three teens robbed at gunpoint, beat, and knocked down a 17-year-old boy with autism.
- Recorded on video in a Walmart parking lot, a Florida man was arrested on child abuse charges for beating with closed fist a nonverbal, 13-year-old boy with autism.
- Also in Florida, and on video, a special education school bus driver was arrested on child abuse charges for repeatedly slapping across the face a 10-year-old boy with autism physically restrained in a harness while on the bus.
Remember, people of all ages with autism are especially vulnerable. If you witness an incident, do the right thing. Immediately report it.
Sponsored by Blue Valley Sod.
Daniel J. Vance is a licensed professional counselor and national certified counselor from Vernon Center, Minn. His weekly newspaper column Disabilities has been published in more than 260 newspapers.
Daniel J. Vance may be reached at www.danieljvance.com
Comment / Share on Facebook
Pet Care | Real Estate | Restaurants | Tech | View All | * Add/Upgrade Business
Placer County News HeadlinesOne-Armed Softball Phenom: Part 2Recently, you may have read the first of two columns featuring 17-year-old Katelyn Pavey, a one-armed, fastpitch softball phenom
Surplus Water: Placer County Water Agency Plans SaleThe Placer County Water Agency (PCWA) Board of Directors has approved a resolution that allows for the transfer and sale of up to 20,000 acre-feet of surplus water
Roseville Flash Crime Report (7.23.16)Roseville, CA- Weekly crime report digest update for Roseville, covering the period of July 14- 22, 2016.
Kings Beach Project Wins National AwardKings Beach, CA - A cornerstone project that is transforming the North Lake Tahoe community of Kings Beach's downtown has been given a prestigious national award
Roseville Hospital gets Suessical VisitRoseville, CA- It isn't every day that storybook characters come alive at Kaiser Permanente Roseville Medical Center.
Nevada City Shines Best at Night Nevada City, CA- Nevada City's charm shines more brightly at night. At least that was the takeaway following a midweek date night with my wife.
Rubio's Opens New Restaurant in Roseville August 4thRoseville, CA - Rubio's Restaurants, Inc., the popular fast casual chain known for uniquely delicious coastal cuisine and popularizing the fish taco, has announced the opening of a new location in Roseville
Roseville and Lincoln to Host Girls Fastpitch Western National ChampionshipRoseville, CA - The ASA/USA 14u Class A Girls Fastpitch Western National Championship in Roseville and Lincoln July 25- 31.
Roseville Residents Motoring for Less this SummerRoseville, CA- Roseville residents are motoring for less this summer as gas prices continue to push lower.
Updates on Rocklin HomicideRocklin, CA- The injuries of the victim were consistent with a blunt force trauma-type injury although information about the weapon used will not be released.
Mummy Man Robs Rocklin BankRocklin, CA- On Wednesday, 07/20/2016, at approximately 4:00pm, Rocklin Police responded to a robbery call at the US Bank located inside the Safeway Supermarket
Gunshots in Roseville Lead to Manhunt and Highway ClosuresRoseville, CA- Despite a large manhunt in Roseville following early morning gunshots, it appears the two male suspects have eluded police at this time.
NEWS: In Case You Missed It