People with Autism Especially Vulnerable
Perhaps like you, recently I read of an incident in Okeechobee, Florida, in which an 18-year-old man was recorded on video beating, choking, kicking, and holding a knife to the throat of a 16-year-old boy with autism. It made national news.
The National Institutes of Health defines autism spectrum disorder as "a range of complex neurodevelopment disorders, characterized by social impairments, communication difficulties, and restricted, repetitive, and stereotyped patterns of behavior." Due to lacking social skills, children with autism are at risk of being bullied or abused.
As an experiment, I recently Googled "autistic boy 2014" to see what I would find. Besides a number of internet "missing autistic boy" articles, I found many disturbing newspaper and TV stories about boys with autism being bullied or abused. (I placed "autistic" into Google because most media outlets still refer to children with autism as "autistic"; and "boy" because 80 percent of people with autism are male.)
Here's a sampling of what I found for 2014.
- In Maryland, two teenage girls faced sentencing after holding a butcher's knife to the throat of a 16-year-old boy with autism and luring him onto a half-frozen pond until he broke through. They refused to help. They recorded the incident on a cellphone.
- Two California parents were arrested for rooming their 11-year-old son in a large dog kennel.
- A New York City paraprofessional punched an 11-year-old boy with autism in a school cafeteria. Police, after watching video, charged the paraprofessional with felony assault, endangering a minor's welfare, menacing, and harassment. The boy had spilled water, and had not understood the paraprofessional's request to clean it up.
- A Michigan teacher verbally mocked in class a 10-year-old male student with autism stuck in a chair. She recorded the incident on her cellphone.
- In Texas, three teens robbed at gunpoint, beat, and knocked down a 17-year-old boy with autism.
- Recorded on video in a Walmart parking lot, a Florida man was arrested on child abuse charges for beating with closed fist a nonverbal, 13-year-old boy with autism.
- Also in Florida, and on video, a special education school bus driver was arrested on child abuse charges for repeatedly slapping across the face a 10-year-old boy with autism physically restrained in a harness while on the bus.
Remember, people of all ages with autism are especially vulnerable. If you witness an incident, do the right thing. Immediately report it.
Print This Article
LittleGiantFudge.com and Palmer Bus Service make this column possible.
Daniel J. Vance is a licensed professional counselor and national certified counselor from Vernon Center, Minn. His weekly newspaper column Disabilities has been published in more than 260 newspapers.
Daniel J. Vance may be reached at www.danieljvance.com
Placer County News HeadlinesKing Fire Arson Suspect ArrestedWayne Allen Huntsman, 37, of Pollock Pines was booked into the El Dorado County Jail for arson on Wednesday.
California Statewide Fire Summary (9.18.14)Today, over 6,600 firefighters continue to battle 10 major wildfires burning in California. Several thousand residents remain evacuated. Yesterday, firefighters fully contained the Black Fire
King Fire Updates: Blaze Rapidly Expands to Over 70,000 AcresEl Dorado County, CA -- The King Fire continues to grow and now has consumed over 70,000 acres with only 5% containment
Roseville California Crime Brief (9.18.14)Police crime brief report for Roseville, California September 18, 2014.
Folsom to File Lawsuit on Mather Airport Master PlanDuring a Special Closed Session meeting yesterday, the Folsom City Council expressed unanimous support to file a lawsuit challenging the recent approval of the Mather Master Plan
Confronting the Islamic StateContrary to the President's assertions last week, the Islamic State IS Islamic and it IS a state - or at least has all the attributes of a state
California Statewide Fire Summary (9.17.14)This morning nearly 6,500 local, federal and CAL FIRE firefighters are on the frontlines of 11 major wildfires burning across California.
Placer County's Most Wanted: Robert Allen Cavin36 year old, Robert Allen Cavin, last known address of Roseville, CA, is currently being sought by authorities for Bringing controlled substance into jail or prison.
Celebrate PlacerGROWN Week October 11- 18The third annual Celebrate PlacerGROWN Week, October 11th through the 18th, will showcase the more than 100 family farms, 20 Placer County Wine Trail wineries and 9 farmers' markets in the Placer County region
Loomis Eggplant Festival Family Fun October 4thEggplants are growing in Loomis in anticipation of the 27th annual festival on Oct. 4 that includes much more than this gourmet purple fruit.
Lake Tahoe Oktoberfest at Camp RichardsonBeers, brats, and music are on tap at Camp Richardson Oct. 4-5, as Oktoberfest returns to the shores of Lake Tahoe. Now in its 20th year the annual event will showcase
California Statewide Fire Summary Over the weekend the state's fire activity increased significantly. The drought dry conditions coupled with high temperatures and low humidity allowed several new large wildfires to grow quickly