Parents Can Set Up Children For Lifetime of Good Health
Despite material abundance and technological success, or perhaps because of it, statistics show that our children are part of one of the unhealthiest generations in world history.
For example, obesity has nearly quintupled among children, since the 1970s.
Nurturing their children's emotional, physical, psychological and spiritual health, may be a parent's most important role. While genetics play a role, parents and extended family can help children prevent many childhood health conditions. The second task, which may actually be more important, is to help them prevent serious chronic and life-threatening health conditions, such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, depression, cancer, that begin, not as adults, but in early childhood.
As a parent of two teenagers, I know the challenges of parenting in these "advanced" technological times. Landmines exist at every turn. It takes courage and commitment for parents to not be co-opted by food manufacturers propaganda or to say NO to children's request to buy them the newest, heavily-advertised technological gadget.
One of the principles of naturopathic medicine is to treat the person, not just the disease.
The following are a few optimal health principles for parents to consider:
- Limit electronic gadgetry (i.e. TV, computer, game systems) to no more than two hours a day, and replace leisure time with physical activity
- Plan family day trips and vacations with vigorous activity in mind, such as hiking
- Require children to do physically active household chores, such as raking leaves
- Bring only healthy food into the house. A healthy diet for the entire family could include: wild, caught salmon; organic, healthy meat and dairy; beans and lentils; nuts, nut butter and seeds; fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables; home-made fruit smoothies; healthy oils such as olive, pure coconut; whole grains such as quinoa, amaranth and barley.
- Limit: fast food, processed and packaged food, white flour and sugar, hydrogenated oils
- The average American eats only 19 different foods per week, resulting in hidden food allergies, creating inflammation, and many serious illnesses, such as ADD. Consider an IgG food allergy test for your children to make sure that the foods they are eating are not making them sick.
- Avoid routine use of antibiotics for childhood illnesses which can lead to candida yeast overgrowth later.
- Angry, emotionally abusive words to children, can lead to severe emotional problems later.
- Parental modeling of asking children for forgiveness is critical to an emotionally healthy family.
- Make sure children, of all ages, get enough sleep.
Dr. Dennis Godby, Doctor of Naturopathy, Sutter Medical Foundation.
He may be reached online or at his Sacramento Office (916) 446-2591.
Placer County News HeadlinesBuying a Home is Still Better Than RentingRoseville, CA-- Home prices continue to rise faster than incomes and new employment, but it is still more cost efficient to own a home than to rent.
Parking Fees being levied at Hidden FallsAUBURN, Calif. -- Placer County's Hidden Falls Regional Park in North Auburn is a gem of a park. Unfortunately, parking can be hard to find, especially during weekends
$22.5 Million Approved for Placer County BuildingsAUBURN, Calif. -- Placer County Board of Supervisors approve an investment plan that will allocate a minimum of $4.5 million annually over the next five years
Placer SPCA Sees Success in Waiving Adoption FeesRoseville, Calif. - Adoption fees are waived for all animals, without exception, at the Placer SPCA during the month of August for its "full hearts, empty kennels" campaign
Classic Car Show in Grass Valley August 25(Grass Valley, CA) Cascades of Grass Valley, a senior living community located at 415 Sierra College Drive in Grass Valley, will be hosting a classic car show on Friday, August 25
Warriors Set to Start 2017 Volleyball CampaignROCKLIN, Calif. - The William Jessup women's volleyball team will start the season this week hosting the Warrior Invitational
Podcasts for Fundraising Professionals and DonorsWith that goal in mind, Eric Hogue and David Pineschi of William Jessup University are regularly producing light-hearted podcasts each month
Mono County Events for Scenic Adventure SeekersMONO COUNTY, Calif. - After record-setting snowfall that refilled lakes and rivers, leaving glistening snow on high peaks and meadows below
Lowest Reported Gas Prices in RosevilleRoseville, CA- Gas prices in Roseville and Rocklin are holding relatively steady as residents shift from summer vacations back to school and work
WJU Volleyball signs Isabella MauricioROCKLIN, Calif. - The women's volleyball head coach, Shasta Millhollin announced the signing of Isabella Mauricio from Foster City, Calif. to the 2017-18 roster.
Foam Fest Craft Beer and Live Music Festival[Olympic Valley, Calif.] - Achieve Tahoe (formerly Disabled Sports USA Far West) will host its 28th annual "Foam Fest" fundraising event
The Great Banquet in Roseville October 7thROSEVILLE, Calif., - Joni and Friends Sacramento will hold its fourth bi-annual event titled "The Great Banquet" at Bayside Church in Roseville on October 7, 2017