Parents Can Set Up Children For Lifetime of Good Health
Despite material abundance and technological success, or perhaps because of it, statistics show that our children are part of one of the unhealthiest generations in world history.
For example, obesity has nearly quintupled among children, since the 1970s.
Nurturing their children's emotional, physical, psychological and spiritual health, may be a parent's most important role. While genetics play a role, parents and extended family can help children prevent many childhood health conditions. The second task, which may actually be more important, is to help them prevent serious chronic and life-threatening health conditions, such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, depression, cancer, that begin, not as adults, but in early childhood.
As a parent of two teenagers, I know the challenges of parenting in these "advanced" technological times. Landmines exist at every turn. It takes courage and commitment for parents to not be co-opted by food manufacturers propaganda or to say NO to children's request to buy them the newest, heavily-advertised technological gadget.
One of the principles of naturopathic medicine is to treat the person, not just the disease.
The following are a few optimal health principles for parents to consider:
- Limit electronic gadgetry (i.e. TV, computer, game systems) to no more than two hours a day, and replace leisure time with physical activity
- Plan family day trips and vacations with vigorous activity in mind, such as hiking
- Require children to do physically active household chores, such as raking leaves
- Bring only healthy food into the house. A healthy diet for the entire family could include: wild, caught salmon; organic, healthy meat and dairy; beans and lentils; nuts, nut butter and seeds; fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables; home-made fruit smoothies; healthy oils such as olive, pure coconut; whole grains such as quinoa, amaranth and barley.
- Limit: fast food, processed and packaged food, white flour and sugar, hydrogenated oils
- The average American eats only 19 different foods per week, resulting in hidden food allergies, creating inflammation, and many serious illnesses, such as ADD. Consider an IgG food allergy test for your children to make sure that the foods they are eating are not making them sick.
- Avoid routine use of antibiotics for childhood illnesses which can lead to candida yeast overgrowth later.
- Angry, emotionally abusive words to children, can lead to severe emotional problems later.
- Parental modeling of asking children for forgiveness is critical to an emotionally healthy family.
- Make sure children, of all ages, get enough sleep.
Dr. Dennis Godby, Doctor of Naturopathy, Sutter Medical Foundation.
He may be reached online or at his Sacramento Office (916) 446-2591.
Placer County News HeadlinesWilliam Jessup University Announces Largest Graduating ClassROCKLIN, CA., - William Jessup University, the first WASC accredited private, four-year residential Christian university in the greater Sacramento region will celebrate its 77th annual
Sonoma County Outdoor Recreation Month in May SONOMA COUNTY, CALIFORNIA - Celebrate one of California's most diverse natural destinations as Sonoma County announces its inaugural Outdoor Recreation Month in May
Monophonics Sure is Funky at TerrapinSan Rafael,CA- As the mercury pushed into the 70's this past Friday, music fans began slowly dancing their way toward Terrapin Crossroads in San Rafael.
Storms Bring Good News for Water SupplyAUBURN, Calif. - Despite a dry start to 2018, storms in late March and early April have produced above-average precipitation in the watersheds that source Placer County Water Agency's
PCF Awards $18,000 in Grants to Promote Civil Discourse(Auburn, Calif.) - Open dialogue and communication are key elements in maintaining a healthy, connected community. To encourage debate, Placer Community Foundation
Dog Abandoned in Roseville under Inhumane CircumstancesRoseville, Calif. - A dog was found abandoned in a corner of the Atlantic Street Pet Emergency Center parking lot under terribly inhumane circumstances
Sun City Roseville Harmonicoots 2018 JamboreeRoseville, CA- This year, the Harmonicoots will honor all women harmonica players throughout the world at their Jamboree-scheduled for Thursday, May 8, 2018
Roseville Gas Prices Hold Steady Past Week Roseville, CA,- Roseville gas prices were relatively flat this past week, but remain at levels pushing near 2014 levels at some locations
Successful Transitions for Young Adults with Neurodevelopmental DisordersSacramento, CA- For many people with disabilities, the excitement of life after high school is accompanied by challenges with finding and receiving the services and supports
Passport Weekend Spectacular Fun in Fair PlayFair Play, CA- California is always full of surprise. This weekend marked our return to El Dorado Wines Passport Weekend.
Growing Weed in Placer County? Rules and ComplianceAuburn, CA - With Placer County's cannabis ordinance now in effect for over a year, county staff will host three drop-in meetings in May to answer questions about rules for cannabis cultivation
2018 Volkswagen SportWagen provides versatilityRoseville, CA,- Versatility is the 2018 Volkswagen SportWagen's main calling card, yet it has other enviable qualities that make it a good choice for car buyers.