Spring Cleaning for the Body
If the new season inspires you to spring-clean your home, you may want to add "spring cleaning" for your body as well!
Just as you wouldn't spring clean your home without first taking out the garbage and clearing out the clutter, neither would I recommend you attempt to revitalize your body without taking out the trash -detoxifying (cleansing) your body from internally and externally produced toxins.
The majority of the chemicals that find their way into our body get stored in fat. Unfortunately, they don't stay there. The stored toxicity eventually works its way into general circulation where it is a significant cause of disease and accelerated aging.
Toxicity affects the body as:
- Functional changes manifesting as poor health with symptoms such as fatigue, headaches, mood swings, memory loss, muscle pain, apathy, weight problems and depression.
- Pathological changes manifest as actual diseases such as: cancer, autoimmune diseases (i.e. rheumatoid arthritis, MS, and 65 or more others), atherosclerosis, chronic fatigue, learning disorders, eczema, infertility, fibromyalgia, panic attacks, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's, tinnitus, arthritis and digestive problems, and many others.
The body has evolved an intricate system to deal with toxicity. Unfortunately, it did not evolve to deal with the enormous burden that modern life has placed upon it.
Toxic compounds that the body is unable to detoxify and eliminate build up in the body, especially in the extracellular matrix and fatty tissue. Functional detoxification focuses on cleansing and supporting these tissues.
The major organs of detoxification the liver/gallbladder, lymphatic system, digestive tract, kidneys and skin.
The liver plays a number of different roles in detoxification:
- Blood Filtration. Every minute, approximately 60 fluid ounces of blood flows through the liver from the intestines to remove 99% of the bacteria and other toxic compounds in the blood before it is able to reach general circulation. Liver damage will compromise blood filtration.
- Bile Production and Secretion. The liver produces about 30 fluid ounces of bile per day, which is a carrier for cholesterol and fat-soluble toxins. Adequate dietary fiber absorbs bile in the intestines where it is eliminated. A low fiber diet allows these unbound toxins to be reabsorbed.
- The biotransformation of toxic substances by a complex system of interrelated enzymes. The process occurs in two phases. Toxic compounds neutralized in these phases include: pesticides, herbicides, drugs, toxins from the gut, hormones and inflammatory chemicals.
Next month's article will focus on the two phases of liver detoxification and how to balance them, and how the other 4 major organs mentioned above detoxify.
Dr. Dennis Godby, Doctor of Naturopathy, Sutter Medical Foundation.
He may be reached online or at his Sacramento Office (916) 446-2591.
Placer County News HeadlinesMesa Verde Country Top 5 Winter Experiences in Southwest ColoradoCortez, Colo. - Mesa Verde Country in Southwest Colorado is a great winter destination. The area boasts mountains, sunshine and everything travelers need for the perfect cold-weather getaway
BottleRock Presents Vines & VibesNapa, CA, - BottleRock Napa Valley presents Vines & Vibes, the fourth annual Do It For The Love Benefit Dinner and Concert on Thursday, May 24, 2018, on the rooftop of the Archer Hotel
2018 Lexus GX570 remains luxurious SUVRoseville, CA,- What most drivers will like about the 2018 Lexus LX570 is the combination of gracious around-town capability and its ability to go off-road in rugged winter conditions
Tree Harvest Cannabis Festival Cancelled, Fall Dates PossibleWoodland, CA- The cannabis themed Tree Harvest Festival scheduled for April 20- 22, 2018 has been cancelled due to a municipality withdrawing authorization
Roseville Gas Prices Ease SlightlyRoseville, CA- Gas prices in Roseville have eased slightly this past week despite the strong upward trend and anticipation of prices pushing toward the $4 gallon mark
Roseville City School District Awarded $400,000 Grant(Roseville, CA) - Roseville City School District (RCSD) is poised to be the recipient of $400,000, all aimed to benefit its middle school students through
Kay U. Brooks presented with Don Poole AwardSacramento, CA,- Attorney Kay U. Brooks of Weintraub Tobin was recently awarded the Sacramento Region Community Foundation's prestigious Don Poole Award for her significant contributions
Arson Damage at Margaret Azevedo Park in RocklinRocklin, CA,- On February 17th 2018 at about 10:38 PM, Rocklin Police Officers responded to Margret Azevedo Park in the report of a play structure on fire
Roseville City School District Honors Teachers of the Year(Roseville, CA) - The Roseville City School District (RCSD) recently announced their Teachers of the Year. Heidi Polewaczyk and Michael Larsen have been selected
Roseville Gas Prices Throttling HigherRoseville, CA- A quick look around Roseville had motorists noticing gas prices trending upward. Prices in Roseville have pushed past the $3 mark
IHOP Pancake Drive-thru Benefits UC Davis Children's Hospital(SACRAMENTO, Calif.) - On Monday, Feb. 26, pancake lovers can drive through, eat their fill of short-stack pancakes and make a donation to support sick and injured children at UC Davis Children's Hospital
Wild Bill's 16th annual Tattoo-a-thon Feb. 24th(SACRAMENTO, Calif.) - Wild Bill's 16th annual Tattoo-a-thon will take place on Saturday, Feb. 24, from 8 a.m. to midnight. Thirty tattoo artists have volunteered to work 16 hours during this year's event and all proceeds