Heal yourself and the planet
Pessimism and despair lead to diseased individuals and to a diseased planet. Despite the inescapable bad news, the Jan. 20 inauguration of the 44th
My question is, can we use these consecutive days of hope to inspire us to “roll up our sleeves,” and commit ourselves to answering President Kennedy’s inaugural call nearly a half century ago: to “ask … what you can do for your country.” Your service, locally or globally, is one important step in revitalizing your health!
The following is a partial list of potentially life-changing things you can do to improve your health and the health of our world.
1. Because you have 100% control of your attitude - you can decide to be healthy and to live in joy and peace, as Viktor Frankl did in the Nazi concentration camps. If he could do it in such extraordinary circumstances, so can we.
2. Accept your genes; love your body, strive for health more than exterior appearance.
3. Life and death are flip sides of the same coin. Accepting life includes accepting death.
4. Forgive oneself and others. Not forgiving leads to many body, mind and spirit diseases. I plead with you – let it go! Being hard on yourself will kill you!
5. Some stress is avoidable. If you feel stressed out, honestly examine your life and empower yourself and determine what perceptions and decisions in your life you can change to help you feel more at peace.
6. In all your relationships, examine yourself first, before blaming others.
7. Resolve interpersonal conflicts nonviolently, without resentment or anger.
8. Live simply (live within your means, reduce clutter, downsize).
9. Daily movement (aerobic, flexibility, strength) is the fountain of vitality. Use exercise for transportation.
10. Nutrition: For optimal muscle mass and weight control, eat breakfast and 3-5 smaller meals per day; eat whole, unprocessed organic foods.
11. Sleep: For optimal hormone secretion get to sleep by 10-11 pm, and for at least 7- 8 hours. If you can’t get to sleep or stay asleep without pills, investigate the cause.
12. Worry less about what others think!
13. Transforming emotional addictions into preferences (see Handbook of Higher Consciousness). There’s no law that says you have to react emotionally when people don’t do as you wish.
14. Have gratitude for everything!
15. Be humble. Love yourself as you are - strengths and limitations.
16. Strive for “excellence,” not perfectionism (especially true for mothers).
17. Be generous
18. Laugh often; have a sense of humor.
19. Be optimistic; have hope; avoid imagining the worst.
20. Follow your conscience.
21. Seek Truth. If you want the truth from others – don’t fly off the handle. Be reasonable.
Dr. Dennis Godby, Doctor of Naturopathy, Sutter Medical Foundation.
He may be reached online or at his Sacramento Office (916) 446-2591.
Placer County News HeadlinesEstate Planning Workshop in Granite Bay June 2Roseville, CA- Come out for an informative seminar with Bill Walker to learn how about smart estate planning on Thursday, June 2, 2016.
Roseville Ride: Miner's Ravine Trail Roseville, CA- A great place to go solo or bring the family, Miner's Ravine Trail offers a great escape for those looking to get away without the hassle or cost of a more time consuming adventure.
3 Arrested in West Roseville Vehicle TheftsRoseville, CA- Kevin Patrick McFarland, Maksim Mishchenko, and Stanislav M. Taran, were arrested on suspicion of stealing from numerous vehicles in Roseville.
Annual Marysville Stampede Memorial Day WeekendMarysville, CA- An annual celebration of California Western and rodeo heritage, in the heart of California's cowboy country, the 83rd Annual Marysville Stampede
Downtown Woodland: Unexpected TreasureWoodland, CA- On a recent Sunday afternoon, I grabbed my wife and headed off on a rather short drive to Woodland to catch an afternoon show at the Blue Note Brewing Company.
Roseville Flash Crime Report (5.23.16)Roseville police crime report digest update for May 23, 2016.
Local Team Wins Spirit CUP at SMUD Solar RegattaRocklin, CA- The Sierra College Solar Energy program Team competed last Saturday May 14th in the Northern California SMUD Solar Regatta
Roseville Area Organization Helps Guardian Scholars ProgramRoseville, CA- Sierra College Guardian Scholars Program thanks the ALPHA DELTA KAPPA Organization for their generous donation to our Former Foster Youth
Placer County Water Agency Master Plan UpdateAUBURN, Calif. - At its May 19 meeting, the Placer County Water Agency (PCWA) Board of Directors received an update on the PCWA County-wide Master Plan.
Subaru BRZ: Reasonably priced old-school sports carRoseville, CA - For driving enthusiasts who want to own a light, agile car that provides an elusive fun factor while also looking cool, the smartly designed Subaru BRZ deserves a good look.
Roseville Gas Prices See DropRoseville, CA - While regional gas prices appear to have held steady, some gas station in Roseville are reporting a downward tick in prices.
Raising Awareness for Mental HealthIn the U.S., the month of May is (or was, depending on when your newspaper publishes this column) "Mental Health Awareness Month."