Build Muscle: Burn More Fat
While you can't change a slow metabolic genetic predisposition, you can still burn fat more efficiently, add more muscle, and get and stay healthy.
If shedding fat is your goal consider these critically important things to help you:
- Focus on improving your physiology and health and revving up your metabolism instead of being obsessed with restricting calories.
- The real health issue is not losing "weight," but excess fat, especially at the waist. We all have different frames. Measure your success with percent body fat/lean tissue.
- Increase muscle mass to burn more fat. The more muscle you have, the more energy you will burn - 24 hours a day.
- Eating every three hours (5-6 smaller meals per day) increases metabolism. The flip side, eating one or two meals per day will lead to weight gain. "Miss more than 12 hours without eating and your metabolic rate can go DOWN as much as 40% !" (Weatherby, ND, Grisanti, DC, Bramos, ACE).
- A slow metabolism may also be caused by eating the wrong kind of food, the worst offenders being those that contain trans fats and high fructose corn syrup (Weatherby, ND).
- It is essential to eat breakfast to increase metabolism.
- "Eating protein can step up metabolism by 14%." Dr. Weatherby recommends eating up to 1 gram for every pound of body weight.
- Eat 30-50 grams of fiber, especially the soluble kind, which lowers insulin levels and fat production.
- William Ferril, MD in, "The Body Heals," says emphatically that "obesity can be cured only when hormones are optimal, and not until."
There are seven main hormones involved: insulin, IGF-1, cortisol, androgens, thyroid, epinephrine, estrogen.
- Insulin is the biggest fat maker. Storing fat abdominally is powerfully associated with unhealthy insulin levels and a vicious cycle of failed diet attempts and progressive fat gain. Higher-than-optimal insulin levels stimulates the appetite, leading to an obsessive desire for more carbohydrates, overeating, abdominal obesity, increasing triglycerides (fats) in the liver's blood supply, and, eventually, ineffective insulin receiving sites (keys to the locks don't work) leading to insulin resistance causing even more insulin to be produced.
- IGF-1 is the only dependable indicator of bio-available growth hormone in the body. In a healthy person, IGF-1 levels are 100 times insulin levels. When there is an ample supply of IGF-1, there is less need for insulin.
- Cortisol is secreted with perceived stress. Today, however, most stress is mental; cortisol increases blood sugar, which raises insulin, thereby increasing fat storage. With middle age and obesity, DHEA drops, leading to lower IGF-1 levels, more insulin and more fat.
- Androgens (androstenedione, DHEA, testosterone, and possibly progesterone) are the anti-fat hormones. They oppose cortisol and insulin.
- Estrogen can contribute to obesity in some females when levels are too high in relation to progesterone, causing a condition known as "estrogen dominance," raising insulin and lowering androgens.
- Thyroid optimal function is critical to metabolism. Consider a doctor with ample thyroid experience.
- Epinephrine is necessary to activate cortisol and thyroid receptors to maintain normal metabolism.
Dr. Dennis Godby, Doctor of Naturopathy, Sutter Medical Foundation.
He may be reached online or at his Sacramento Office (916) 446-2591.
Placer County News HeadlinesCuba's State Sponsor of Terrorism Label RescindedCuba's designation as a State Sponsor of Terrorism has been rescinded.
2015 NBA Finals Schedule and Game Times40 years on, NBA MVP Stephen Curry brings the Golden State Warriors back to the NBA Finals against powerhouse LeBron James
$30 Million Fanny Bridge Project Approved for Tahoe CityThe Tahoe Regional Planning Agency Governing Board today unanimously approved the Tahoe Transportation District's State Route 89/Fanny Bridge
Rocklin Crime Report Digest Update (5-29-15)Rocklin weekly crime report digest update for the period of May 18- 24, 2015
Heat Accelerates Dry in California DroughtDrought Watch: Although record low precipitation has been the main driver of one of the worst droughts in California history, abnormally high temperatures have also played an important role
Angelo K. Tsakopoulos Family Donates Lincoln Acreage to Dignity HealthDignity Health announced today that it has received a gift of 32.85 acres of vacant land in Lincoln from the Angelo K. and Sofia Tsakopoulos family, a gift valued at more than $10 million.
Food and Wine Event in Downtown Roseville May 29thRoseville, CA -- Get your tickets now for Placer County's only dog-friendly food & wine tasting event.
$18 Million for Humanitarian Assistance for Ukraine CrisisThe United States remains concerned by the growing humanitarian crisis in eastern Ukraine, particularly in areas occupied by combined Russian-separatist forces
Santa Barbara Oil Spill Cleanup Orders Issued by FedsThe United States issues cleanup order to owner of ruptured Refugio Beach oil pipeline. Federal order ensures continued action on Santa Barbara County spill.
Auburn Homeless Shelter Opens June 1stA temporary homeless shelter operated by Volunteers of America and funded by Right Hand Auburn is scheduled to open at the Placer County Government Center
Roseville Chamber of Commerce Events June 2015The Roseville Chamber of Commerce gears up for another month of business events for June 2015.
Roseville Sorority Chapter Supports Former Foster Youth at Sierra CollegeSusan Goto and Carol Sue Acres, representing the Alpha Delta Kappa Beta ETA Chapter in Roseville, stopped by the Sierra College Foundation Office