Build Muscle: Burn More Fat
While you can't change a slow metabolic genetic predisposition, you can still burn fat more efficiently, add more muscle, and get and stay healthy.
If shedding fat is your goal consider these critically important things to help you:
- Focus on improving your physiology and health and revving up your metabolism instead of being obsessed with restricting calories.
- The real health issue is not losing "weight," but excess fat, especially at the waist. We all have different frames. Measure your success with percent body fat/lean tissue.
- Increase muscle mass to burn more fat. The more muscle you have, the more energy you will burn - 24 hours a day.
- Eating every three hours (5-6 smaller meals per day) increases metabolism. The flip side, eating one or two meals per day will lead to weight gain. "Miss more than 12 hours without eating and your metabolic rate can go DOWN as much as 40% !" (Weatherby, ND, Grisanti, DC, Bramos, ACE).
- A slow metabolism may also be caused by eating the wrong kind of food, the worst offenders being those that contain trans fats and high fructose corn syrup (Weatherby, ND).
- It is essential to eat breakfast to increase metabolism.
- "Eating protein can step up metabolism by 14%." Dr. Weatherby recommends eating up to 1 gram for every pound of body weight.
- Eat 30-50 grams of fiber, especially the soluble kind, which lowers insulin levels and fat production.
- William Ferril, MD in, "The Body Heals," says emphatically that "obesity can be cured only when hormones are optimal, and not until."
There are seven main hormones involved: insulin, IGF-1, cortisol, androgens, thyroid, epinephrine, estrogen.
- Insulin is the biggest fat maker. Storing fat abdominally is powerfully associated with unhealthy insulin levels and a vicious cycle of failed diet attempts and progressive fat gain. Higher-than-optimal insulin levels stimulates the appetite, leading to an obsessive desire for more carbohydrates, overeating, abdominal obesity, increasing triglycerides (fats) in the liver's blood supply, and, eventually, ineffective insulin receiving sites (keys to the locks don't work) leading to insulin resistance causing even more insulin to be produced.
- IGF-1 is the only dependable indicator of bio-available growth hormone in the body. In a healthy person, IGF-1 levels are 100 times insulin levels. When there is an ample supply of IGF-1, there is less need for insulin.
- Cortisol is secreted with perceived stress. Today, however, most stress is mental; cortisol increases blood sugar, which raises insulin, thereby increasing fat storage. With middle age and obesity, DHEA drops, leading to lower IGF-1 levels, more insulin and more fat.
- Androgens (androstenedione, DHEA, testosterone, and possibly progesterone) are the anti-fat hormones. They oppose cortisol and insulin.
- Estrogen can contribute to obesity in some females when levels are too high in relation to progesterone, causing a condition known as "estrogen dominance," raising insulin and lowering androgens.
- Thyroid optimal function is critical to metabolism. Consider a doctor with ample thyroid experience.
- Epinephrine is necessary to activate cortisol and thyroid receptors to maintain normal metabolism.
Dr. Dennis Godby, Doctor of Naturopathy, Sutter Medical Foundation.
He may be reached online or at his Sacramento Office (916) 446-2591.
Placer County News HeadlinesRocklin Christmas Tree Lighting: Now and ThenRocklin Kiwanis and the City of Rocklin will kick off Rocklin's annual Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony on Saturday, December 5, at 4 pm in Heritage Park
Rocklin Crime Report Digest Update (11-30-15)Rocklin, CA- Rocklin's latest crime report update digest for the period covering November 16- 22, 2015.
Roseville Police Join Search to Capture Suspect Following CrashRoseville, CA- After an extensive search involving officers from the Roseville Police Department, Placer County Sheriff's Office, and the California Highway Patrol, Caleb Bodine, 23, from Sacramento was arrested.
Honda Accord: Benchmark for family sedansRoseville, CA- For overall value, nothing has essentially changed with the 2016 Honda Accord. It still delivers reliability, performance, comfort
Deadliest Catch Producer in Auburn December 11thAuburn, CA- The Rooster Tails Fishing Club is kicking-off the forthcoming holiday season with a special Sunday-style Brunch & Awards Breakfast at the Auburn Elks Lodge on December 11.
Roseville Public Libraries to Benefit from Book SaleRoseville, CA- The Friends of the Roseville Public Library will host its final secondhand book sale of 2015 on Saturday, Dec. 5, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
NY Reader Has Life Beyond MS A column I wrote weeks ago about the Service Dog Project (and its Great Danes) prompted responses from two Niagara-Wheatfield (NY) Tribune readers
Roseville Flash Crime Report (11.25.15)Roseville, CA- Crime flash report for Roseville, November 25, 2015.
Water Savings Fall Short AgainRoseville, CA. - Customers in San Juan Water District's retail service area reduced their October water use by 26 percent, which is 10 percent less
Chapa-De Indian Health Website for PatientsAUBURN, CA - Chapa-De Indian Health is proud to announce the launch of its newly updated website will also allow patients to learn about the comprehensive healthcare services
Blindness EtiquetteRoseville, CA - If you are meeting a person who is blind or visually impaired for the first time, do you offer your hand for him to shake?
Toyota RAV4 remains reliable compact SUVRoseville, CA- There is obviously a lot to like regarding the RAV4, starting with a sticker price that ranges from $23,680 to $29,850.