Build Muscle: Burn More Fat
While you can't change a slow metabolic genetic predisposition, you can still burn fat more efficiently, add more muscle, and get and stay healthy.
If shedding fat is your goal consider these critically important things to help you:
- Focus on improving your physiology and health and revving up your metabolism instead of being obsessed with restricting calories.
- The real health issue is not losing "weight," but excess fat, especially at the waist. We all have different frames. Measure your success with percent body fat/lean tissue.
- Increase muscle mass to burn more fat. The more muscle you have, the more energy you will burn - 24 hours a day.
- Eating every three hours (5-6 smaller meals per day) increases metabolism. The flip side, eating one or two meals per day will lead to weight gain. "Miss more than 12 hours without eating and your metabolic rate can go DOWN as much as 40% !" (Weatherby, ND, Grisanti, DC, Bramos, ACE).
- A slow metabolism may also be caused by eating the wrong kind of food, the worst offenders being those that contain trans fats and high fructose corn syrup (Weatherby, ND).
- It is essential to eat breakfast to increase metabolism.
- "Eating protein can step up metabolism by 14%." Dr. Weatherby recommends eating up to 1 gram for every pound of body weight.
- Eat 30-50 grams of fiber, especially the soluble kind, which lowers insulin levels and fat production.
- William Ferril, MD in, "The Body Heals," says emphatically that "obesity can be cured only when hormones are optimal, and not until."
There are seven main hormones involved: insulin, IGF-1, cortisol, androgens, thyroid, epinephrine, estrogen.
- Insulin is the biggest fat maker. Storing fat abdominally is powerfully associated with unhealthy insulin levels and a vicious cycle of failed diet attempts and progressive fat gain. Higher-than-optimal insulin levels stimulates the appetite, leading to an obsessive desire for more carbohydrates, overeating, abdominal obesity, increasing triglycerides (fats) in the liver's blood supply, and, eventually, ineffective insulin receiving sites (keys to the locks don't work) leading to insulin resistance causing even more insulin to be produced.
- IGF-1 is the only dependable indicator of bio-available growth hormone in the body. In a healthy person, IGF-1 levels are 100 times insulin levels. When there is an ample supply of IGF-1, there is less need for insulin.
- Cortisol is secreted with perceived stress. Today, however, most stress is mental; cortisol increases blood sugar, which raises insulin, thereby increasing fat storage. With middle age and obesity, DHEA drops, leading to lower IGF-1 levels, more insulin and more fat.
- Androgens (androstenedione, DHEA, testosterone, and possibly progesterone) are the anti-fat hormones. They oppose cortisol and insulin.
- Estrogen can contribute to obesity in some females when levels are too high in relation to progesterone, causing a condition known as "estrogen dominance," raising insulin and lowering androgens.
- Thyroid optimal function is critical to metabolism. Consider a doctor with ample thyroid experience.
- Epinephrine is necessary to activate cortisol and thyroid receptors to maintain normal metabolism.
Dr. Dennis Godby, Doctor of Naturopathy, Sutter Medical Foundation.
He may be reached online or at his Sacramento Office (916) 446-2591.
Placer County News HeadlinesPlacer Land Trust Acquires 40 Acres along North Fork of American RiverPlacer Land Trust is very pleased to announce that in early April it acquired 40 acres of gorgeous land along the North Fork American River at the bottom of the Green Valley Trail.
$20 Pet Adoptions at Placer County's Auburn ShelterFacing a spring surplus of rescue pets - and in celebration of National Adopt a Shelter Pet Day April 30 - Placer County's Auburn animal services center will lower adoption fees
Roseville Hosts I Love the 80's Fun RunRoseville, CA- On Sunday, May 1, 2016, the City of Roseville will host the I Love the 80's Fun Run in Downtown Roseville.
Yomen Spring Celebration in RosevilleYomen spring celebration in Roseville is free community event at Maidu Museum & Historic Site on April 30, 2016.
Roseville Man Arrested for Child Molestation in Bay AreaJames McNealy Carroll, a 64 year-old Roseville resident has been arrested for six counts of child molestation.
Vacancies: Mental Health, Alcohol and Drug Advisory BoardThe Placer County Mental Health, Alcohol and Drug Advisory Board is in need of additional community members to fill vacant seats.
Distance Language Intervention and Disabilities CommunicationSean Sawicki, who has fragile X syndrome, can be hard to understand and doesn't always have the attention span to carry on a sustained conversation
Sutter Buttes Bike Poker Run & Wine Tasting May 14thSutter, CA - Visit Yuba-Sutter will host the annual Sutter Buttes Bike Poker Run and Wine Tasting event on May 14, 2016.
Roseville's Greener Gardens Tour & DIY Expo Roseville, CA- Join hundreds of people for Roseville's Greener Gardens Tour and Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Expo on Saturday, May 14th
Holly Heinzen reflects on 31-year career in serviceAfter making it through her first day, wondering if she would even be able to make it up the hill and into the parking lot, Heinzen had found a place where she would spend the duration of her career
Autism: Pool and Water Safety TipsRoseville, CA- April is National Autism Awareness month. Drowning is a leading cause of death for children and adults who have Autism.
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations in AuburnAuburn -The Placer County Transportation Planning Agency (PCTPA) and the City of Auburn will host a ribbon cutting celebration to recognize the installation of two new electric vehicle