Build muscle; burn more fat
While you can’t change a slow metabolic genetic predisposition, you can still burn fat more efficiently, add more muscle, and get and stay healthy.
If shedding fat is your goal consider these critically important things to help you:
· Focus on improving your physiology and health and revving up your metabolism instead of being obsessed with restricting calories.
· The real health issue is not losing “weight,” but excess fat, especially at the waist. We all have different frames. Measure your success with percent body fat/lean tissue.
· Increase muscle mass to burn more fat. The more muscle you have, the more energy you will burn – 24 hours a day.
· Eating every three hours (5-6 smaller meals per day) increases metabolism. The flip side, eating one or two meals per day will lead to weight gain. “Miss more than 12 hours without eating and your metabolic rate can go DOWN as much as 40% !” (
· A slow metabolism may also be caused by eating the wrong kind of food, the worst offenders being those that contain trans fats and high fructose corn syrup (
· It is essential to eat breakfast to increase metabolism.
· “Eating protein can step up metabolism by 14%.” Dr. Weatherby recommends eating up to 1 gram for every pound of body weight.
· Eat 30-50 grams of fiber, especially the soluble kind, which lowers insulin levels and fat production.
· William Ferril, MD in, “The Body Heals,” says emphatically that "obesity can be cured only when hormones are optimal, and not until."
There are seven main hormones involved: insulin, IGF-1, cortisol, androgens, thyroid, epinephrine, estrogen.
Insulin is the biggest fat maker. Storing fat abdominally is powerfully associated with unhealthy insulin levels and a vicious cycle of failed diet attempts and progressive fat gain.
Higher-than-optimal insulin levels stimulates the appetite, leading to an obsessive desire for more carbohydrates, overeating, abdominal obesity, increasing triglycerides (fats) in the liver's blood supply, and, eventually, ineffective insulin receiving sites (keys to the locks don't work) leading to insulin resistance causing even more insulin to be produced.
IGF-1 is the only dependable indicator of bio-available growth hormone in the body. In a healthy person, IGF-1 levels are 100 times insulin levels. When there is an ample supply of IGF-1, there is less need for insulin.
Cortisol is secreted with perceived stress. Today, however, most stress is mental; cortisol increases blood sugar, which raises insulin, thereby increasing fat storage. With middle age and obesity, DHEA drops, leading to lower IGF-1 levels, more insulin and more fat.
Androgens (androstenedione, DHEA, testosterone, and possibly progesterone) are the anti-fat hormones. They oppose cortisol and insulin.
Estrogen can contribute to obesity in some females when levels are too high in relation to progesterone, causing a condition known as “estrogen dominance,” raising insulin and lowering androgens.
Thyroid optimal function is critical to metabolism. Consider a doctor with ample thyroid experience.
Epinephrine is necessary to activate cortisol and thyroid receptors to maintain normal metabolism.
Dr. Dennis Godby, Doctor of Naturopathy, Sutter Medical Foundation.
He may be reached online or at his Sacramento Office (916) 446-2591.
Placer County News HeadlinesKing Fire Forces Air Quality AdvisoryCalifornia Fire Update: The Placer County Public Health Officer and Placer County Air Pollution Control District are issuing this joint Air Quality Advisory to notify the public of poor air quality conditions due to smoke from the King Fire
Sierra College Slashing Annual Water Use by 30 PercentDrought Watch: Rocklin's Sierra College Expected to Decrease Annual Water Use by 30 Percent
Rocklin Claims 26 Million Gallons of Water SavedDrought Watch: City of Rocklin claims a savings of almost 26 million gallons of water by removing some landscape grass, shutting down water parks.
KidsFirst and The Rite Aid Foundation PartnerRoseville, CA -- KidsFirst is the Child Abuse Prevention Council of Placer County, operating three Counseling and Family Resource Centers in Roseville, Auburn and Citrus Heights
California Statewide Fire Summary (9.19.14)California Fire Update: Cooler weather allows progress on King Fire and containment of Dog Bar Fire.
King Fire Threatens PCWA Power SystemCalifornia Fire Update: The King Fire is seriously threatening the PCWA power generation and PG&E transmission facilities.
Golf Tournament Benefits Roseville's Outstanding Teachers' FundRoseville Firefighters will hold their 23rd annual Benefit Tournament on Monday, Oct. 13 at Timber Creek Golf Club in Roseville
King Fire Arson Suspect ArrestedCalifornia Fire Update: Wayne Allen Huntsman, 37, of Pollock Pines was booked into the El Dorado County Jail for arson on Wednesday.
California Statewide Fire Summary (9.18.14)California Fire Update: Today, over 6,600 firefighters continue to battle 10 major wildfires burning in California. Several thousand residents remain evacuated. Yesterday, firefighters fully contained the Black Fire
King Fire Updates: Blaze Rapidly Expands to Over 70,000 AcresCalifornia Fire Update: The King Fire continues to grow and now has consumed over 70,000 acres with only 5% containment
Roseville California Crime Brief (9.18.14)Police crime brief report for Roseville, California September 18, 2014.
Folsom to File Lawsuit on Mather Airport Master PlanDuring a Special Closed Session meeting yesterday, the Folsom City Council expressed unanimous support to file a lawsuit challenging the recent approval of the Mather Master Plan