Male Menopause and the Female Hormone Progesterone
(Part 2 of 2) Part 1 is available here
Perhaps you are among the tens of millions of men in this country who are on the slippery slope of losing vitality, will admit, at least to yourself, that you are going downhill, and in the process are losing some of your enthusiasm for life as you age. This is called andropause (the male version of menopause).
Also, perhaps, you would like to turn that ship around...
Progesterone (P) is mistakingly considered a "female hormone." Dr. John Lee, perhaps the world's authority on bioidentical hormones, reported that those men who applied progesterone cream to their wives found that their symptoms of prostatism, such as urinary urgency and frequency, decreased considerably. Other men reported drop in PSAs and no progression of their prostate cancer. P works to restore normal size to prostate gland by inhibiting the effects of estrogen, a prostate cell proliferator. P also inhibits 5-alpha reductase, which converts testosterone to a more potent DHT. 5-alpha reductase drugs are often used in BPH, prostate cancer, and baldness, but they have serious side effects, unlike progesterone.
The ABCs of Male Vitality:
- Adrenal gland balance (cortisol and DHEA, etc); Alcohol moderation; Antioxidants, i.e. resveratrol); Attitude
- Basic blood panel (use optimal levels, not standard reference ranges) Triglycerides, Cholesterol: HDL, LDL and Total Cholesterol, GGT(P), LD(H), Phosphate, Uric Acid, Total iron/TIBC, % Saturation, Glucose, BUN, Creatinine, Sodium, Chloride, Potassium, CO2, Calcium, Total Protein, Albumin, Globulin, Total bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase, AST, ALT, Sedimentation Rate (ESR), WBC count, Red Blood Cell Count, Hemoglobin, Hematocrit, MCV, MCH, MCHC, RDW, Platelet Count, Neutrophils, Lymphocytes, Monocytes, Eosinophils, Basophils, Ferritin, T3 Total, T4 Total, TSH
- Blood pressure control; Body composition lean
- Cardiovascular labs, ie. (Cardio CRP, Fibrinogen, Homocysteine); Community
- D, Vitamin 25 OH test (60-80 optimal); DHEA hormone, optimal, to slow aging (these two nutrients are almost always below optimal levels) you may want to check first
- Emotional health; Essential fatty acids; Estrogen/progesterone optimal balance; Exercise vigorously
- Forgive oneself and others
- Glucose control (hemoglobin A1C); Gratitude
- Hormone balance (other & bioidentical replacement if necessary)
- Insulin (fasting) under 8
- Neurotransmitter balance
- Nutrition (anti-inflammatory, carbohydrates in proportion to exercise, modified Mediterranean, organic)
- Nutritional supplements (properly prescribed, professional strength)
- Oral health (prevent gingivitis)
- Peace (inner and outer); Preventative lifestyle; Progesterone; Prostate health
- Quality of life
- Relationships healthy
- Sleep well (quantity and quality); Smoking cessation; Spiritual connection; Strength training
- Testosterone test (free and total)
The above items are intended to provide a checklist of things you should consider and monitor to help you enjoy the highest quality of life and all the days of your life.
This column is in honor of Jack LaLanne, the model of health and fitness, who always brings a smile to the face of those who hear his name, and whose name and accomplishments are known by 100% of my patients over 40, and even to most under 40 years of age.
Dr. Dennis Godby, Doctor of Naturopathy, Sutter Medical Foundation.
He may be reached online or at his Sacramento Office (916) 446-2591.
Placer County News HeadlinesHoliday in the Hills on the Placer Wine Trail in DecemberRoseville, CA, - Come join us and help celebrate the holidays on the Placer Wine Trail to benefit Toys for Tots. Enjoy the holidays in Placer County
How the Grinch Stole Christmas Comes to Life at This EventSacramento, Calif. - Dr. Seuss' beloved holiday tale "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" will come to life at Fairytale Town's annual Winter Wonderland event.
California Bowl in Roseville November 24- 26Roseville, CA - Nov. 16, 2017 -One of the most competitive and exciting youth football tournaments on the west coast returns to Roseville over Thanksgiving weekend.
Kids with Disabilities to Get Help with Telemedicine Program (Sacramento, Calif.) - The UC Davis Department of Pediatrics has received a $2 million, five-year grant from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) to fund a new telemedicine program
Gun Scare in Roseville at Woodcreek HighRoseville, CA, - Roseville Police find loaded handgun following alert from Woodcreek High Students.
Ford can 'Focus' on its futureRoseville, CA,- Not many people are probably aware, but the Ford Focus has been among the top-selling cars in the world, and even held the top spot in 2013.
$1.5 Million in Grants for Sacramento-area NonprofitsRoseville, CA,- Kaiser Permanente has awarded 52 grants totaling more than $1.5 million to local not-for-profit organizations, schools and public entities in Sacramento, Yolo and Placer counties.
Roseville Gas Prices Up 20 Percent Year from Last YearRoseville, CA,- Gas prices in Roseville ticked up slightly this past week. Following on the heels on California's $5 billion a year gas tax hike
Holiday Safety Tips by Roseville Police Dept.Roseville, CA,- The holiday season is a busy and festive time. While you're busy preparing, criminals are stepping up their efforts to increase their holiday haul.
Fishing Club Monthly Breakfast in AuburnThe Rooster Tails Fishing Club monthly breakfast will be held at the Auburn Elks Lodge at 195 Pine Street in Auburn on November 17
Placer County Regional Bikeway Plan UpdateAs Placer County experiences dramatic growth in population, new homes and businesses, the popularity of cycling grows at the same time
Orange is New Pink 5K Walk for Breast CancerOrange is the New Pink 5K Walk for Breast Cancer will take place Sunday, Dec. 3 at Mandarin Hill Orchards in Penryn