Male Menopause and the Female Hormone Progesterone
(Part 2 of 2) Part 1 is available here
Perhaps you are among the tens of millions of men in this country who are on the slippery slope of losing vitality, will admit, at least to yourself, that you are going downhill, and in the process are losing some of your enthusiasm for life as you age. This is called andropause (the male version of menopause).
Also, perhaps, you would like to turn that ship around...
Progesterone (P) is mistakingly considered a "female hormone." Dr. John Lee, perhaps the world's authority on bioidentical hormones, reported that those men who applied progesterone cream to their wives found that their symptoms of prostatism, such as urinary urgency and frequency, decreased considerably. Other men reported drop in PSAs and no progression of their prostate cancer. P works to restore normal size to prostate gland by inhibiting the effects of estrogen, a prostate cell proliferator. P also inhibits 5-alpha reductase, which converts testosterone to a more potent DHT. 5-alpha reductase drugs are often used in BPH, prostate cancer, and baldness, but they have serious side effects, unlike progesterone.
The ABCs of Male Vitality:
- Adrenal gland balance (cortisol and DHEA, etc); Alcohol moderation; Antioxidants, i.e. resveratrol); Attitude
- Basic blood panel (use optimal levels, not standard reference ranges) Triglycerides, Cholesterol: HDL, LDL and Total Cholesterol, GGT(P), LD(H), Phosphate, Uric Acid, Total iron/TIBC, % Saturation, Glucose, BUN, Creatinine, Sodium, Chloride, Potassium, CO2, Calcium, Total Protein, Albumin, Globulin, Total bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase, AST, ALT, Sedimentation Rate (ESR), WBC count, Red Blood Cell Count, Hemoglobin, Hematocrit, MCV, MCH, MCHC, RDW, Platelet Count, Neutrophils, Lymphocytes, Monocytes, Eosinophils, Basophils, Ferritin, T3 Total, T4 Total, TSH
- Blood pressure control; Body composition lean
- Cardiovascular labs, ie. (Cardio CRP, Fibrinogen, Homocysteine); Community
- D, Vitamin 25 OH test (60-80 optimal); DHEA hormone, optimal, to slow aging (these two nutrients are almost always below optimal levels) you may want to check first
- Emotional health; Essential fatty acids; Estrogen/progesterone optimal balance; Exercise vigorously
- Forgive oneself and others
- Glucose control (hemoglobin A1C); Gratitude
- Hormone balance (other & bioidentical replacement if necessary)
- Insulin (fasting) under 8
- Neurotransmitter balance
- Nutrition (anti-inflammatory, carbohydrates in proportion to exercise, modified Mediterranean, organic)
- Nutritional supplements (properly prescribed, professional strength)
- Oral health (prevent gingivitis)
- Peace (inner and outer); Preventative lifestyle; Progesterone; Prostate health
- Quality of life
- Relationships healthy
- Sleep well (quantity and quality); Smoking cessation; Spiritual connection; Strength training
- Testosterone test (free and total)
The above items are intended to provide a checklist of things you should consider and monitor to help you enjoy the highest quality of life and all the days of your life.
This column is in honor of Jack LaLanne, the model of health and fitness, who always brings a smile to the face of those who hear his name, and whose name and accomplishments are known by 100% of my patients over 40, and even to most under 40 years of age.
Dr. Dennis Godby, Doctor of Naturopathy, Sutter Medical Foundation.
He may be reached online or at his Sacramento Office (916) 446-2591.
Placer County News HeadlinesBuying a Home is Still Better Than RentingRoseville, CA-- Home prices continue to rise faster than incomes and new employment, but it is still more cost efficient to own a home than to rent.
Parking Fees being levied at Hidden FallsAUBURN, Calif. -- Placer County's Hidden Falls Regional Park in North Auburn is a gem of a park. Unfortunately, parking can be hard to find, especially during weekends
$22.5 Million Approved for Placer County BuildingsAUBURN, Calif. -- Placer County Board of Supervisors approve an investment plan that will allocate a minimum of $4.5 million annually over the next five years
Placer SPCA Sees Success in Waiving Adoption FeesRoseville, Calif. - Adoption fees are waived for all animals, without exception, at the Placer SPCA during the month of August for its "full hearts, empty kennels" campaign
Classic Car Show in Grass Valley August 25(Grass Valley, CA) Cascades of Grass Valley, a senior living community located at 415 Sierra College Drive in Grass Valley, will be hosting a classic car show on Friday, August 25
Warriors Set to Start 2017 Volleyball CampaignROCKLIN, Calif. - The William Jessup women's volleyball team will start the season this week hosting the Warrior Invitational
Podcasts for Fundraising Professionals and DonorsWith that goal in mind, Eric Hogue and David Pineschi of William Jessup University are regularly producing light-hearted podcasts each month
Mono County Events for Scenic Adventure SeekersMONO COUNTY, Calif. - After record-setting snowfall that refilled lakes and rivers, leaving glistening snow on high peaks and meadows below
Lowest Reported Gas Prices in RosevilleRoseville, CA- Gas prices in Roseville and Rocklin are holding relatively steady as residents shift from summer vacations back to school and work
WJU Volleyball signs Isabella MauricioROCKLIN, Calif. - The women's volleyball head coach, Shasta Millhollin announced the signing of Isabella Mauricio from Foster City, Calif. to the 2017-18 roster.
Foam Fest Craft Beer and Live Music Festival[Olympic Valley, Calif.] - Achieve Tahoe (formerly Disabled Sports USA Far West) will host its 28th annual "Foam Fest" fundraising event
The Great Banquet in Roseville October 7thROSEVILLE, Calif., - Joni and Friends Sacramento will hold its fourth bi-annual event titled "The Great Banquet" at Bayside Church in Roseville on October 7, 2017