The secret to quelling the fire - Could you use the gift of health this holiday season? You can transform your health and energy in as little as two weeks by adhering to the "anti-inflammatory nutritional plan" detailed below.
While naturopathic doctors individualize their dietary regimes for each patient, this short term diet has proven amazing for many people. Often, due to lifestyle choices, inflammation can develop and show up in many different forms in our bodies, often times while we are unaware. Our internal organs can become inflamed in such cases as autoimmune diseases, inflammatory bowel disease, heart disease and cancers, and many others. Most of us could really benefit from quelling the firestorm inside with this anti-inflammatory plan.
I would like to share this anti-inflammatory plan with all who read this column so that you can improve your health and start feeling better as soon as possible. Most patients show rapid and significant health progress, including: weight loss, clearer thinking, better digestion, relief of pain and fatigue, better memory and mood, lower blood pressure and less migraines - to name just a few.
The two week anti-inflammatory nutritional plan includes the following acceptable foods:
- All fruit, especially berries (except all citrus)
- All vegetables (if joint pain, no tomatoes, eggplant, peppers or potatoes).
- All nuts and seeds (except peanuts and cashews)
- All beans and lentils (except soy)
- Starches OK: brown rice, oats, quinoa, amaranth, teff, millet, buckwheat
- Dairy substitutes OK: almond/rice milk
- Animal protein foods OK: all fish, lean poultry, wild game
- Oils/fats OK: Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, flax, sesame, walnut and macadamia
- Sweets OK: xylitol, stevia, brown rice syrup
- Spices OK, especially turmeric, ginger and others
- Beverages OK: Filtered water, herbal tea, seltzer
The foods to eliminate:
- Corn and all gluten: wheat, rye, barley, spelt and kamut
- Dairy: whey (especially protein powders), milk, cheese, cream, yogurt, butter, kefir, ice cream
- Eggs, beef, pork, bacon, sausages
- Anything in food label that says "hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated," shortening, margarine, non-dairy creamer, some salad dressings, margarine
- White, brown or raw sugars; maple syrup, high-fructose corn syrup, all artificial sweeteners
- Ketchup, mustard, pickle-relish, soy sauce and barbecues sauce
- Soft drinks, alcohol, coffee, black tea, other caffeine-containing beverages
If you would like to lose abdominal fat, also cut down on carbohydrates. If you do not exercise like the Amish (14,000 to 16,000 steps per day), do not eat like them. Eat carbohydrates in proportion to how much you move each day.
When in doubt if a food is on or off the program, do not eat it.
Take a total of 10,000 to 15,000 IU of Vitamin D3 daily for the rest of December, unless you have been tested over 50 on the Vitamin D 25 OH test, and then 4,000 per day beginning in January.
Find healthy ways to deal with your emotions. Toxic emotions such as anger, depression, and excessive worry or anxiety can also lead the body out of balance. Exercise for at least 30 minutes daily, unless contraindicated by your doctor.
It is usually easier to follow the plan eating at home, than at restaurants. The key is to plan ahead so that when you are hungry, you always have a "safe" option.
If you feel better, and the diet is working for you, stay on it indefinitely.
Dr. Dennis Godby, Doctor of Naturopathy, Sutter Medical Foundation.
He may be reached online or at his Sacramento Office (916) 446-2591.
Placer County News HeadlinesWater Savings Fall Short AgainRoseville, CA. - Customers in San Juan Water District's retail service area reduced their October water use by 26 percent, which is 10 percent less
Chapa-De Indian Health Website for PatientsAUBURN, CA - Chapa-De Indian Health is proud to announce the launch of its newly updated website will also allow patients to learn about the comprehensive healthcare services
Blindness EtiquetteRoseville, CA - If you are meeting a person who is blind or visually impaired for the first time, do you offer your hand for him to shake?
Toyota RAV4 remains reliable compact SUVRoseville, CA- There is obviously a lot to like regarding the RAV4, starting with a sticker price that ranges from $23,680 to $29,850.
Roseville, Rocklin May Get Jobs Boost from Sunset Area PlanRoseville, CA - Currently known as the Sunset Industrial area west of Highway 65 and surrounded by the cities of Roseville, Rocklin and Lincoln.
Loretta Claiborne: RevisitedRoseville, CA - Last week, I began telling you about Loretta Claiborne, an African American who was born poor, partially blind, and with an intellectual disability.
Placer County Water Agency Adopts 2016 BudgetAUBURN, Calif. - At its November 19 meeting, the Placer County Water Agency (PCWA) Board of Directors adopted the Agency's 2016 budget
Rocklin Crime Report Update: DUI Arrests JumpRocklin, CA - Rocklin police weekly crime report digest update summary for the period of November 9- 15, 2015.
Roseville and Rocklin Among Beneficiaries of Clean Energy ProjectsRoseville, CA - The Placer County Board of Supervisors received a program update on mPOWER which has funded more than $35 million in clean energy projects
Cali Bowl in Roseville November 27-29Roseville, CA- The 8th Annual California Bowl comes to Roseville on Nov. 27-29 at the Woodcreek High School football stadium
Roseville to Hold Green Gardening at Home SeriesRoseville, CA - Starting this January, the Roseville Utility Exploration Center, 1501 Pleasant Grove Blvd. at Mahany Park
Loretta Claiborne Ran to SuccessRoseville, CA - You may have seen the Disney made-for-TV movie The Loretta Claiborne Story, in which a partially blind, African-American woman with an intellectual disability