The secret to quelling the fire - Could you use the gift of health this holiday season? You can transform your health and energy in as little as two weeks by adhering to the "anti-inflammatory nutritional plan" detailed below.
While naturopathic doctors individualize their dietary regimes for each patient, this short term diet has proven amazing for many people. Often, due to lifestyle choices, inflammation can develop and show up in many different forms in our bodies, often times while we are unaware. Our internal organs can become inflamed in such cases as autoimmune diseases, inflammatory bowel disease, heart disease and cancers, and many others. Most of us could really benefit from quelling the firestorm inside with this anti-inflammatory plan.
I would like to share this anti-inflammatory plan with all who read this column so that you can improve your health and start feeling better as soon as possible. Most patients show rapid and significant health progress, including: weight loss, clearer thinking, better digestion, relief of pain and fatigue, better memory and mood, lower blood pressure and less migraines - to name just a few.
The two week anti-inflammatory nutritional plan includes the following acceptable foods:
- All fruit, especially berries (except all citrus)
- All vegetables (if joint pain, no tomatoes, eggplant, peppers or potatoes).
- All nuts and seeds (except peanuts and cashews)
- All beans and lentils (except soy)
- Starches OK: brown rice, oats, quinoa, amaranth, teff, millet, buckwheat
- Dairy substitutes OK: almond/rice milk
- Animal protein foods OK: all fish, lean poultry, wild game
- Oils/fats OK: Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, flax, sesame, walnut and macadamia
- Sweets OK: xylitol, stevia, brown rice syrup
- Spices OK, especially turmeric, ginger and others
- Beverages OK: Filtered water, herbal tea, seltzer
The foods to eliminate:
- Corn and all gluten: wheat, rye, barley, spelt and kamut
- Dairy: whey (especially protein powders), milk, cheese, cream, yogurt, butter, kefir, ice cream
- Eggs, beef, pork, bacon, sausages
- Anything in food label that says "hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated," shortening, margarine, non-dairy creamer, some salad dressings, margarine
- White, brown or raw sugars; maple syrup, high-fructose corn syrup, all artificial sweeteners
- Ketchup, mustard, pickle-relish, soy sauce and barbecues sauce
- Soft drinks, alcohol, coffee, black tea, other caffeine-containing beverages
If you would like to lose abdominal fat, also cut down on carbohydrates. If you do not exercise like the Amish (14,000 to 16,000 steps per day), do not eat like them. Eat carbohydrates in proportion to how much you move each day.
When in doubt if a food is on or off the program, do not eat it.
Take a total of 10,000 to 15,000 IU of Vitamin D3 daily for the rest of December, unless you have been tested over 50 on the Vitamin D 25 OH test, and then 4,000 per day beginning in January.
Find healthy ways to deal with your emotions. Toxic emotions such as anger, depression, and excessive worry or anxiety can also lead the body out of balance. Exercise for at least 30 minutes daily, unless contraindicated by your doctor.
It is usually easier to follow the plan eating at home, than at restaurants. The key is to plan ahead so that when you are hungry, you always have a "safe" option.
If you feel better, and the diet is working for you, stay on it indefinitely.
Dr. Dennis Godby, Doctor of Naturopathy, Sutter Medical Foundation.
He may be reached online or at his Sacramento Office (916) 446-2591.
Placer County News Headlines2016 Housing Market UpdateRealtor, Julie Jalone, of MagnumOne Realty in Roseville writes about the housing market performance predictions presented by the chief economist of the National Association of Realtors at a recent conference.
New California Laws for 2016 (Final)Roseville, CA - The final installment for New California laws for 2016.
Placer SPCA Announces 2016 Board of DirectorsRoseville, CA - On January 18th, the Placer SPCA announced the election of its 2016 Roseville, CA - The Placer SPCA recently announced the election of its 2016 Officers for the Board of Directors.
Roseville Gas Price Wars: Under $1.90 a GallonRoseville, CA- Gas prices in Roseville are pushing to lows not seen in a very long time. Costco and ARCO continue to dominate the leaderboard
2016 Subaru Forester: Reliable compact SUVRoseville, CA- The Subaru Forester is a no-frills SUV that embraces Subaru's practical approach to auto making.
$100,000 Gift to Help Local Nursing StudentsRocklin, CA, - Just last month, the Sierra College Foundation received a $100,000 donation to establish an endowment fund to help
Captured: Mexican Nationals found on Foresthill RoadA Placer County Sheriff's deputy just arrested the three men who've eluded capture since Wednesday afternoon.
Water Supply Projection by Water Agency GMAUBURN, Calif. - Following weeks of rain and snowfall, the Placer County Water Agency (PCWA) Board of Directors met on February 4 to receive the latest snowpack and water supply update.
3 Rocklin Restaurants Hit by BurglarRocklin, CA - On the morning of February 4, 2016 between the hour of 1:30 AM and 2:30 AM, three closed take-out style restaurants
Roseville Housing Authority Nabs Highest HUD RatingRoseville, CA- For the 11th consecutive year, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) named the Roseville Housing Authority
Local Woman Honored for Cancer AdvocacyRoseville, CA - Former educator and Granite Bay mother of three Laura Tyrrell was honored at the Stars of Advocacy Inaugural Gala Fundraiser.
New California Laws for 2016 (Part 33)Roseville, CA - New California laws for 2016. Part 33 includes Medical marijuana, Real estate investments, Housing standards, Disorderly conduct, Housing standards: mold, and more.