The secret to quelling the fire - Could you use the gift of health this holiday season? You can transform your health and energy in as little as two weeks by adhering to the "anti-inflammatory nutritional plan" detailed below.
While naturopathic doctors individualize their dietary regimes for each patient, this short term diet has proven amazing for many people. Often, due to lifestyle choices, inflammation can develop and show up in many different forms in our bodies, often times while we are unaware. Our internal organs can become inflamed in such cases as autoimmune diseases, inflammatory bowel disease, heart disease and cancers, and many others. Most of us could really benefit from quelling the firestorm inside with this anti-inflammatory plan.
I would like to share this anti-inflammatory plan with all who read this column so that you can improve your health and start feeling better as soon as possible. Most patients show rapid and significant health progress, including: weight loss, clearer thinking, better digestion, relief of pain and fatigue, better memory and mood, lower blood pressure and less migraines - to name just a few.
The two week anti-inflammatory nutritional plan includes the following acceptable foods:
- All fruit, especially berries (except all citrus)
- All vegetables (if joint pain, no tomatoes, eggplant, peppers or potatoes).
- All nuts and seeds (except peanuts and cashews)
- All beans and lentils (except soy)
- Starches OK: brown rice, oats, quinoa, amaranth, teff, millet, buckwheat
- Dairy substitutes OK: almond/rice milk
- Animal protein foods OK: all fish, lean poultry, wild game
- Oils/fats OK: Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, flax, sesame, walnut and macadamia
- Sweets OK: xylitol, stevia, brown rice syrup
- Spices OK, especially turmeric, ginger and others
- Beverages OK: Filtered water, herbal tea, seltzer
The foods to eliminate:
- Corn and all gluten: wheat, rye, barley, spelt and kamut
- Dairy: whey (especially protein powders), milk, cheese, cream, yogurt, butter, kefir, ice cream
- Eggs, beef, pork, bacon, sausages
- Anything in food label that says "hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated," shortening, margarine, non-dairy creamer, some salad dressings, margarine
- White, brown or raw sugars; maple syrup, high-fructose corn syrup, all artificial sweeteners
- Ketchup, mustard, pickle-relish, soy sauce and barbecues sauce
- Soft drinks, alcohol, coffee, black tea, other caffeine-containing beverages
If you would like to lose abdominal fat, also cut down on carbohydrates. If you do not exercise like the Amish (14,000 to 16,000 steps per day), do not eat like them. Eat carbohydrates in proportion to how much you move each day.
When in doubt if a food is on or off the program, do not eat it.
Take a total of 10,000 to 15,000 IU of Vitamin D3 daily for the rest of December, unless you have been tested over 50 on the Vitamin D 25 OH test, and then 4,000 per day beginning in January.
Find healthy ways to deal with your emotions. Toxic emotions such as anger, depression, and excessive worry or anxiety can also lead the body out of balance. Exercise for at least 30 minutes daily, unless contraindicated by your doctor.
It is usually easier to follow the plan eating at home, than at restaurants. The key is to plan ahead so that when you are hungry, you always have a "safe" option.
If you feel better, and the diet is working for you, stay on it indefinitely.
Dr. Dennis Godby, Doctor of Naturopathy, Sutter Medical Foundation.
He may be reached online or at his Sacramento Office (916) 446-2591.
Placer County News Headlines7 Tips To Consider: Changing Your LandscapingDrought Watch:The water crisis facing California is serious and carries imminent environmental, financial and human impacts.
Rocklin Police Officers Honored by MADDOn April 23, 2015, three Rocklin Police Officers were honored at the Sacramento Region Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD) at an annual luncheon
Roseville Police Warn of Grandparent ScamRoseville Police report that they have had had two elderly residents fall victim to the "grandparent scam" this month.
Roseville Crime Report Digest Update (4.24.15)Weekly crime report update digest for Roseville, April 24, 2015
Maui: Kapalua features some terrific dining optionsRest assured, there will be no shortage of great dining options when visiting the Kapalua region of Maui
Beatles Tribute in Auburn May 17thIn My Life - A Musical Theatre Tribute to the Beatles is the nationally touring musical biography of the Beatles through the eyes of manager Brian Epstein
Roseville Hosting USA Ultimate Regional ChampionshipsUSA Ultimate Southwest Regional College Championships will be held May 2-3 at Maidu Park in Roseville.
10 Billion Gallons of Water to Save a Few Fish?Drought Watch: Congressman Tom McClintock issued the following speech regarding a 10 billion gallon water release from the New Melones Dam.
Public Invited to Baker's Nursery in LoomisThe Patrons, a volunteer arm of the Sierra College Foundation, invite the public and those interested in becoming members of the organization to attend the May 4
Auburn Library Getting Spruced UpAfter 21 years of high traffic use, the flooring in the Auburn branch of the Placer County Library is worn out
Real Estate: New Home Sales - Get Help!Realtor, Julie Jalone of MagnumOne Realty in Roseville, writes about new home sales and how buyers can save money when dealing directly with the builder.
Tour of Unison Comfort Technologies OfferedOn April 27, tour Unison Comfort Technologies, located in McClellan Park, to see how this company develops and manufactures customer-centric commercial HVAC systems