The secret to quelling the fire - Could you use the gift of health this holiday season? You can transform your health and energy in as little as two weeks by adhering to the "anti-inflammatory nutritional plan" detailed below.
While naturopathic doctors individualize their dietary regimes for each patient, this short term diet has proven amazing for many people. Often, due to lifestyle choices, inflammation can develop and show up in many different forms in our bodies, often times while we are unaware. Our internal organs can become inflamed in such cases as autoimmune diseases, inflammatory bowel disease, heart disease and cancers, and many others. Most of us could really benefit from quelling the firestorm inside with this anti-inflammatory plan.
I would like to share this anti-inflammatory plan with all who read this column so that you can improve your health and start feeling better as soon as possible. Most patients show rapid and significant health progress, including: weight loss, clearer thinking, better digestion, relief of pain and fatigue, better memory and mood, lower blood pressure and less migraines - to name just a few.
The two week anti-inflammatory nutritional plan includes the following acceptable foods:
- All fruit, especially berries (except all citrus)
- All vegetables (if joint pain, no tomatoes, eggplant, peppers or potatoes).
- All nuts and seeds (except peanuts and cashews)
- All beans and lentils (except soy)
- Starches OK: brown rice, oats, quinoa, amaranth, teff, millet, buckwheat
- Dairy substitutes OK: almond/rice milk
- Animal protein foods OK: all fish, lean poultry, wild game
- Oils/fats OK: Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, flax, sesame, walnut and macadamia
- Sweets OK: xylitol, stevia, brown rice syrup
- Spices OK, especially turmeric, ginger and others
- Beverages OK: Filtered water, herbal tea, seltzer
The foods to eliminate:
- Corn and all gluten: wheat, rye, barley, spelt and kamut
- Dairy: whey (especially protein powders), milk, cheese, cream, yogurt, butter, kefir, ice cream
- Eggs, beef, pork, bacon, sausages
- Anything in food label that says "hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated," shortening, margarine, non-dairy creamer, some salad dressings, margarine
- White, brown or raw sugars; maple syrup, high-fructose corn syrup, all artificial sweeteners
- Ketchup, mustard, pickle-relish, soy sauce and barbecues sauce
- Soft drinks, alcohol, coffee, black tea, other caffeine-containing beverages
If you would like to lose abdominal fat, also cut down on carbohydrates. If you do not exercise like the Amish (14,000 to 16,000 steps per day), do not eat like them. Eat carbohydrates in proportion to how much you move each day.
When in doubt if a food is on or off the program, do not eat it.
Take a total of 10,000 to 15,000 IU of Vitamin D3 daily for the rest of December, unless you have been tested over 50 on the Vitamin D 25 OH test, and then 4,000 per day beginning in January.
Find healthy ways to deal with your emotions. Toxic emotions such as anger, depression, and excessive worry or anxiety can also lead the body out of balance. Exercise for at least 30 minutes daily, unless contraindicated by your doctor.
It is usually easier to follow the plan eating at home, than at restaurants. The key is to plan ahead so that when you are hungry, you always have a "safe" option.
If you feel better, and the diet is working for you, stay on it indefinitely.
Dr. Dennis Godby, Doctor of Naturopathy, Sutter Medical Foundation.
He may be reached online or at his Sacramento Office (916) 446-2591.
Placer County News HeadlinesRocklin Home for Sale: Retreat at Whitney OaksA brand new, custom home on Whitney Oaks golf course lot is now available in Rocklin.
Placer County Ranks #1 in Quality of Life, Second HealthiestFor the third consecutive year, Placer County has ranked as the second healthiest county among California's 58 counties.
A Blue Tie Affair: KidsFirst Annual Luncheon April 16thThe 17th Annual Signature Luncheon promoting awareness for Child Abuse Prevention will be hosted by retired PCWA General Manager David Breninger and his wife Linda.
Roseville City Jail Slated for ConversionThe Roseville City Council has approved the conversion of the Roseville City Jail to an arrestee processing center when
Rocklin Crime Report Digest Update (3-26-15)Rocklin Police Department's weekly crime report digest update for the period of March 16- 22, 2015
Nonprofits Team Up at Summit in LincolnPlacer Community Foundation's Fifth Annual Nonprofit Leadership Summit was held on March 20th at the Orchard Creek Ballroom at Sun City, Lincoln.
Cognitive Decline Worse in Men or Women?A study published online in JAMA Neurology finds there are multiple factors contributing to cognitive decline throughout adulthood.
Roseville Chamber of Commerce Events April 2015Upcoming events for the Roseville Chamber of Commerce for the month of April 2015.
Riolo Vineyards Project Changes ApprovedChanges to plans for the Riolo Vineyard, an approved development in western Placer County, moved forward Tuesday when the Placer County Board of Supervisors
$57K for Reflective Pavement Markers in Placer CountyThe Placer County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously Tuesday to approve a $57,621 contract with Central Striping Service Inc. to install recessed reflective pavement markers
Gas Prices: All Over the PlaceThe national average has increased 12.1 cents per gallon during the last month and stands 110.6 cents per gallon lower than this day one year ago.
Lower Gas Prices: Welcome Relief, with a CatchWhen you fill up your tank in California, you pay 18 cents per gallon for the State fuel tax and 18.4 cents per gallon for the Federal fuel tax